Scag V Ride 2, 52", Vanguard EFI 37 - black smoke and dead on the second day of cutting.

OP
C

curtiscowher

LawnSite Member
Background:
Over the past few years, my brother and I have grown our lawn care business. So much so that for next season, we decided to make a huge investment - a stand on mower. Decided on the scag Vride after countless acclaimed reviews. I read up on the Vanguard engines and they seemed decent, many accounts speaking to their reliability. I thought the extra HP would come in handy on same thicker cuts. So I decided to go with the vanguard. Knowing it was briggs and straton's commercial line, I expected little to no issues.

Current Thoughts/Situation:
Day one of cutting went flawlessly, it was amazing. So much time saved with the new machine. I was absolutely thrilled.

Day two of cutting was a ******* nightmare. The amount of money we invested into this machine suddenly vaporized along with the black smoke and dead engine on the property. I swear I almost had a heart attack when this machine blew up. Engine sputtered a few times, started smoking, flame out the exhaust, and stops dead almost immediately afterwards. We called the dealer and they towed it out to their warehouse. It went in on Saturday (9/4) but the dealership is closed saturday through monday. Today is Tuesday; I am hoping we will hear some feedback or origin of the issue. I hope that it is something very obvious, and something that can be fixed without having a fear in mind that it will happen again.

It is now in my experience to stay far away from Vanguard engines. Go with Kawasaki, the extra HP was overkill anyway. If you guys have any advice or feedback I'd love to hear it. I'm really disappointed, regretful, and bummed out right now from our situation. Real turn of unfortunate events for us:/
UPDATE: Dealer has found the issue with the engine. It was a high pressure fuel module that was leaking and was dumping fuel into the intake valve causing it to stop running. He said the part is in stock and hopefully we will have it back and running by Monday (9/13).

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
UPDATE: Dealer has found the issue with the engine. It was a high pressure fuel module that was leaking and was dumping fuel into the intake valve causing it to stop running. He said the part is in stock and hopefully we will have it back and running by Monday (9/13).
Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Last edited:

Top Forums