Scag V ride 2 or Tiger Cat 2. Both 26 hp kawi EFI

Mendell's Maitenance

LawnSite Member
Hello all! Let me first apologize because I know damn well this is a topic I've been researching and seeing a million posts on. But the reason I joined to ask is because there's a few specifics I don't see and quite frankly I'm nervous about making the right choice.

I've been using a 48 inch scag belt drive walk behind for years. Never even sat on a zero turn until the scag dealer the other day. I've been wanting to upgrade to something this year to increase my time and help with fatigue. Most of my accounts are not bad. Half acre or less. But the few acre accounts let's be honest I'm sorta sick of walking. Lol. With that said. Around here very few of my accounts are wide open. Most are bumpy and have at least some sloping areas. Nothing too crazy. But some worse than others. I'm leaning towards the V ride. I tested one out yeaturday in a field next to the dealer and while awkward as hell I think I'd get used to it and feel like I have more control. My biggest question here is I read a lot of reviews saying stander is better for smaller and rider is better for bigger. Yes, eventually I want both. But for now, which is more versatile?
How does the v ride handle on bumpy or hilly terrain? The rider scares me a bit when I think about hills. But I can't help but to think I'd feel like I'm falling off a stander. I'm looking at the 52 inch of either. So even if I do have a few acre or more properties, would the v ride handle it just as well? I'm assuming either is going to be more efficient and faster than a walk behind.

So really my bottom line question to those that have used both, if u had to pick one for now which would u choose? Obviously I'll keep the walk behind ot even get something smaller to fit on the trailer for areas I can't get to. But I really wanna know what you think is more versatile and handles bumpy, mixed terrain better.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I haven't used a vride myself. Just got a tc2. Something to consider on a slope for either. If you are going across a slope, if you go slightly at an angle keeping the casters a touch more uphill than the rear, it will help keep from spinning the downhill tire to keep it straight. Same if a hill is too steep to go straight up, go up it at a 45.

You won't be disappointed with either option.

Doc8406

LawnSite Fanatic
i see a lot of VRides for sale.. i have had a stander, but it was a Deere.. might be apples to oranges in how they handle, but here in East Tn.. you don't see much use of a stander in this area.. mostly Turf Tigers here.. that should tell ya something

HighlandLC

LawnSite Member
I also started with a 48 belt scag. Then bought a Wildcat 26. incredible increase in productivity. I sold it for a Ferris Z2. Better on the body, and faster handling than a Z. Looking to go possibly a vride 2 soon. But yes, if you need to bag, either will do, but the tiger cat will bag easier.

NickTF

LawnSite Member
I run a 61" v-ride 2 with a 37 hp briggs vanguard. The fact that I can get such a large powerful machine into tight spots makes the v-ride hard to beat imho. I cut as much as 2 acres with it but most everything I do is 1.5-.5 acres. If you're cutting mostly 1.5+ acre properties get the sit down machine. If not, the stander is impossible to beat imho. Never used a large walk behind of any sort but I have no problem maintaining rates of $50-$120/hr as a single operator and I can tell you I had no chance of that kind of productivity with the 48" toro z-master 2000 I replaced with this v-ride. Not a fair comparison given a vastly less powerful machine and smaller deck, but there are elements of standers that make them flat out better in many circumstances when comparins same deck and hp. I will say imho it is easier to keep straight lines with a sit down machine, just my opinion.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Tighter intricate areas are stander city. Flats full stick are for sitters.

danzig

LawnSite Member
I have used Wright Stander and the V Ride. The V ride is more comfortable to use due to the swing out platform. It seems to handle bumps/rough terrain better than a Wright. Both cut great. Slopes are a different story. I feel that I have a little more control on slopes with a V ride.

Top Forums