1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag v-ride 2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by sven1277, Sep 21, 2017.

1. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm borrowing a new v-ride 2 from my dealer today. I haven't had a chance to really try it out yet but it seems to be nicely improved over the outgoing model. Larger drive tires, faster ground speed, beefed up frame, much improved control levers over the Rube Goldberg contraption previously employed. Since some of the Wright patents are expiring, the operator platform is now between the rear wheels instead of behind.

Screenshot_20170921-193943.png

Screenshot_20170921-193936.png

2. sven1277

This is a 52". I own an older 48" v ride, plus a couple of Weight zk's so I will have some other machines to compare it to. Personally, I'm interested to see how it handles hilly conditions. Im very familiar with the velocity deck. Our tt's are great on hills. So are the zk's. The older v ride is not so great at all on hills. I really hope the new model addresses that aspect.

BJWLAWNCARE, hort101 and JWallace115 like this.
  3. whammer33024

whammer33024 LawnSite Senior Member

get your ass out of bed and mow with that thing! many of us are eagerly awaiting what you have to say! lol

4. sven1277

So I used the machine today for about an hour and a half on my own property. My lawn is a good test for a mower with it's varying terrain. The short answer is I like it. It uses the velocity deck that has received a lot of threads so no need to discuss that.

It is a very stable machine on hilly conditions. I was really impressed with how well it did both laterally on slopes and up and down. You can back up a hill. You can be traveling across a slope with a downward angle and still be able to turn up hill (to a degree). It is on par with our tt's and wright zk's. Much better than the outgoing model. I definitely prefer standing between the tires instead of behind them.

The controls are well placed. They are all located toward the back of the control plate so they are all relatively easy to access with the stationary bars over them. A little easier than the zk which has the controls scattered around the control plate.

The operator handles are spaced a little farther apart than our older stand on machines. Incidentally our new zk has farther spacing too. Your hands will reach farther. I got used to it pretty quickly. It may only be a ln issue for someone with tiny Trump hands. Gone is the neutral/drive lever and the handle that had to be held in to use the controls. That was such a convoluted setup. The new system is simple. The paking brake, when applied, automatically locks the drive levers. Really nice.

The deck height system works well. I like the new pins. It's simple and effective.

It has both larger drive tires and front casters. The drives on the 52" we're 24*9.5".

The ground speed is higher than the outgoing model. It felt like maybe 10mph where the older unit is 7-8mph.

The frame looks to be strengthened from the previous model. Our older v-ride frame cracked on both sides just forward where the engine mounts. There was a gusset kit available to weld on to correct it. There is substantially more gusseting on this frame comparably.

The battery is located opposite the tank to even out weight distribution. It has a cover that flips up for easy access to the terminals.

The overall look is much nicer. Even though it is smaller than the ZK and tt, it doesn't feel little like the outgoing v-ride.

Overall I'm very impressed with this new version. I will definitely look to replace our old v-ride with this model where as before I probably would have traded our 48" v-ride for a 52"zk. Scag will have a 48" and 61" decks also, I would assume a 36" but can't confirm.

I still prefer the ZK but it's also a larger machine. You feel like you're standing in a tank with it, which is cool. I can't really find any faults with the new v-ride, just good improvements.

5. sven1277

I was able to back the machine up from this position could never do that with the older version IMG_20170922_123248.jpg

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

sweet mower :D

7. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

yeah we did a parking lot demo yesterday and walked away very impressed!

hort101 likes this.
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Heck that thing just looks like a copy of the Ferris.

Green Machine 2 likes this.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see that you stand any more forward than old one ....platform on older ones stuck out but couldn't stand on edge. I wouldn't expect a vride to be good on hills compared to turf tiger. Wide footprint big tires and weighted front end keeps unit from sliding across hills. We got 2 vrides and 2 turf tigers. I like the new unit don't see any downside....thanks for posting.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

they all look like that now. have you seen a bobcat? looks exactly the same.