Scag V-Ride Grass Collection system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Mark Oomkes, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone have one of these? On a 52" deck. Apparently the 61" is different.

If so, are you having issues with the baffles getting bent\constantly loosening up and hitting the blades?

The front one hangs a good 1" lower than the deck and catches on curbs, going in and out of the trailer or truck, even will catch on turf and pull turf back if it is uneven when backing.

The back one generally catches when backing up a curb.

Each is held on by a couple bolts. We are being told that no one other than us is bending this many baffles. I've heard that too many times to count. The bagger leaves a trail if we try mowing without the baffles.

IMO, it's a piss poor design, because not only does it catch on everything, get bent and come into contact with blades, bolts don't hold it in place, it reduces the size of the discharge withOUT the unit so in thick grass, you also leave a trail. It's pretty much an all or nothing system despite being easy to remove and reinstall. It really should be the same size discharge with or without the blower unit. If Scag won't fix it, my plan is to modify the blower housing so we can mow without the baffles, but I know this will affect airflow, hopefully not too much.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Mark Oomkes

The dealer is telling us that the baffles weren't adjusted correctly. But they installed it.

3. OP
    OP
    Mark Oomkes

The more we dug into this, the more our dealer is telling us this is a problem.

Not sure if they're doing anything about it or not.

4. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

Glad I didn’t buy one instead of the accelerator. It just came yesterday so I haven’t used it yet. Hope it goes better than what you are dealing with.

5. OP
    OP
    Mark Oomkes

Wish the Accelerator held more grass.

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I wasn't impressed with it. It's not a quick on and off with the baffles making the discharge smaller. Also the bag holder bracket is in the way. This was on a 61".

7. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

Just mounted and used the accelerator. Works as it should just thought the quality of build would have been better for $650. It’s the jumbo on a 48 Vride. I wouldn’t want anything bigger than the jumbo full of grass.