1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag V Ride or Gravely Pro Stance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Hoernerlandscaping, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Hoernerlandscaping

Hoernerlandscaping LawnSite Member

Hey all i'm new to the forum as well as the lawn care business. I'm currently in the process of setting up my business and am pretty sure of most of what equipment i'm going to buy. I know that i am going to buy a 36" stander(i''m doing small residential lawns with small gates to the backyard) and am definitely leaning towards the gravely prostance since my dealer is going to give me fleet pricing and i really like the mower but i'm also interested in the v ride. I just wanted some of opinions from people who have used either mowers or both. What do you like about them? and what you don't like

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Got to watch rutting with both of those.....Wright sentar maybe

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 36 VRide great machine. Real improvement over the Tracer I used to run. Rutting no issue once you learn how to turn correctly. Does struggle just a bit on moderate slopes. Never have to clean the deck, does not plug and very little clumps.

4. Hoernerlandscaping

I would look into a Wright but the nearest dealer from me is like 50 miles away

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Rutting comes from narrow tire making an indentation over time in grass has little to do with turning. Small mowers are generally used on small lawns and you are usually not able to change your paths.

hort101 likes this.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Ya tearing the turf and rutting not same issue, people need to get to know webster...

hort101 likes this.
  7. Hoernerlandscaping

anyone out there with the v ride II? i'm leaning more towards that after reading a good amount of bad experiences people have been having lately with gravely products. Any idea on price for the v ride II?

JaekayDesign likes this.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

this, i was going to say this...

areas you're trying to use 36" "riders" to "go fast" are usually so tight it doesn't give you a lot of options for changing mowing patterns,meaning week after week those tiny tires are following the same tracks; causing compaction ruts.

a 36" stander with tiny tires will actually have more REAL ground pressure than a big ole 60" with its near car sized drive tires.

That's why 21s and walk behind mowers still have a place and 36" standers really aren't all that great.
    Generally, people STILL try to put something too big in a place thats too small.

9. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I wholeheartedly agree.

20160513_100224.jpg

But.. Iv never encountered a yard so small that I was not able to change the direction. I could see if it's a super narrow cooridor of turf. People just refuse to try. Like this section of the church yard up here. alot of people would just continue this pattern above till the ruts were deep enough for the devil to lay in. Vride is 48" so my width is about 20' even I am reluctant sometimes to do anything but what I do right there in the pic above. It's kinda tight.

But every other week or every 3rd week I force something different, it doesn't look too impressive but it helps. 2263c4f0-66e6-449a-beee-00862ea07b37.jpg Then I had this little one here back in the day that was like mowing little Lilly Pads or something. 36" WB seemed big on it, got to where I whipped it out quicker with a 21. 1009266_611587305529488_383709940_o (1).jpg

hort101 likes this.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Tearing on turns (esp wet turf) is more of a factor than rutting, having used the 36 for a full season now.