Scag V-ride or Wright Stander?

nick2765

LawnSite Member
Hey guys, I plan on purchasing a 36" stander for the upcoming mowing season. Not sure which one to go with. Im leaning towards the Scag because i feel like you get more for the money and the guys at the power equipment supply are pushing it more then the Wright Stander. Anyone have experience with either one. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

kgflyboy

LawnSite Member
The Scag deck is quite a bit longer than the Wright, which makes it more prone to scalping the tops of hills and ridges. If your properties are flat, I guess it won't make much of a difference. You can get some awesome deals on the Scags right now with Fleet Pricing.

I just purchased a Stander X instead of the Scag because I was concerned about the longer deck. I read reviews from people who had personally experienced the scalping on the Scag decks, but there were other people who pointed out that if you mow carefully and know what you are doing, scalping is minimized.

biodale

LawnSite Member
I have the 36" v-ride. Its a good mower. Watch what you are doing and it won't scalp. Use it like a mower is meant to be used. Production is up over a walk behind. It does take getting used to. Expect a learning curve.
Never used wright stander. Not a good wright dealer here. I have used Cub Cadet's with good results. It all depends on the care you take mowing the lawn, the maintenance of the mower and good people. (People is the hardest to find).

lawnkingforever

LawnSite Bronze Member
Kgflyboy and Jim have valid points. The 36" vride has more narrower tires than the Wright and the Grandstand of the same size. It is also much longer than the other two brands. After riding one around a dealers parking lot it seemed too long for a 36" deck. It still is a solid unit, just not as compact as the wright.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
N

nick2765

LawnSite Member
Thanks guys for the quick responses! I feel for me It will come down to cut quality. You guys say scalping is a big issue but should not be to big of an issue by me since its all flat land. How does the scag cut vs the wright. Because If I were to purchase the Wright I would get the one with the rapid height adjustment, not the fixed deck one. Priced out theres a significant price difference. it was between 1-2 grand if im not mistaken. Note that this was before all the specials each company is giving out right now. I might head down there today and see what pricing they come up with on both machines. Thanks again guys!

sea ox

LawnSite Member
I have a 36" advantage deck vride. The cut quality is great. It does take some getting used to because the controls seem touchy. I would stay away from wright. I have a 52" stander that has never cut right from day one. Seems like they put alot of thought into the rest of the mower and forgot about the deck.

ommegang

LawnSite Member
I think Wright is a couple grand more than a Vride. Thus, easy decision. The Vride is a gas hog from my short experience so far. Look for EFI, perhaps. Cut and dispersal is great. Wright introduced a new deck in order to try to alleviate thier inferior cut quality perception I believe. Don't know how that's working for them. Scag seemed to have had the best cut quality opinions here.

kgflyboy

LawnSite Member
My dealer talks people out of the rapid height models. He says they are junk, and he hears nothing positive from customers who buy them. Customers seem to be way happier with the cut quality and performance on slopes of the original standers around here. I took a gamble and went with the stander x, which supposedly corrected all of the issues with the RH models. Unfortunately, it doesn't come smaller than 48".

Hopefully someone else who uses RH will speak up. My dealer might be in the minority with his opinion.

My dealer talks people out of the rapid height models. He says they are junk, and he hears nothing positive from customers who buy them. Customers seem to be way happier with the cut quality and performance on slopes of the original standers around here. I took a gamble and went with the stander x, which supposedly corrected all of the issues with the RH models. Unfortunately, it doesn't come smaller than 48".

Hopefully someone else who uses RH will speak up. My dealer might be in the minority with his opinion.
the dealer i bought my wright from said the same thing, stay away from the RH. I own a 36" FD Wright and have been very pleased. It's a 2008 with 350 hours that I bought new.