Scag V Ride

mountaintopcuts

LawnSite Member
I'm looking to buy a new 52" Scag V Ride for the upcoming season. I currently have a 36" with a 19 HP Kawasaki. Just debating as to which engine would be best for a 52" deck? Would the 37 HP Vanguard be overkill? For those who own the 52 V Ride which engine do you recommend?

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
I had a 52 Vride with a Kawi 23 carb. No problems with lack of power and I'm 250 lbs. We used it in a very hilly area.

Ordering today, I'd get the Kawi EFI. Save $1000 on purchase, and save on fuel in the future.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I had a 52 Vride with a Kawi 23 carb. No problems with lack of power and I'm 250 lbs. We used it in a very hilly area.

Agree 100%. My 23 Kawi (2014) runs better than my 31 Kawi (2016). Bump the key and away we go! All the power I need in my midwestern grasses. Has been perfect in terms of reliability.

Are you looking at a new Vride II or a used/old stock original V-ride? Not sure about the differences as I only have experience with the original.... fyi.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
We got the Kohler....two years old
KIMG2961.JPG

curtiscowher

LawnSite Member
I'm looking to buy a new 52" Scag V Ride for the upcoming season. I currently have a 36" with a 19 HP Kawasaki. Just debating as to which engine would be best for a 52" deck? Would the 37 HP Vanguard be overkill? For those who own the 52 V Ride which engine do you recommend?
please get the kawasaki. I went with the vanguard 37... and I kid you not the engine blew up in black smoke on our second day of cutting. Dead on the property, had to be towed out. It is in the shop, waiting to here from the dealer about the issue. I deeply hope this doesn't turn into a problem machine for us. We never invested this much money into the business until this Vride... and so far i've got a sinking feeling about it:/

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
please get the kawasaki. I went with the vanguard 37... and I kid you not the engine blew up in black smoke on our second day of cutting. Dead on the property, had to be towed out. It is in the shop, waiting to here from the dealer about the issue. I deeply hope this doesn't turn into a problem machine for us. We never invested this much money into the business until this Vride... and so far i've got a sinking feeling about it:/
Sounds like a warranty issue. Nothing to worry about they'll take care of it.

Top Forums