Scag Vride spindles PIA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Aug 17, 2017.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I get it, Scag uses the bolt through design so the spindles wear less. But what a pain to remove the blades. Only thing about my Vride 36 I do not like.

Oh, and Scag, stop over torquing the nuts on these bolts at the factory. 500+ ft lbs is WAY too much.

Grass Bass and Blainethompson like this.
  2. whammer33024

whammer33024 LawnSite Senior Member

gun the nuts, jack it up. done. i don't think its so bad, never done it on a 36" though so could be different

3. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. I work alone and I wouldn't be able to do the center spindle by myself without an impact wrench.

4. Grass Bass

Grass Bass LawnSite Member

I would agree A little annoying taking those blades off but very minor deal. I had to go buy the big Dewalt high impact wrench to get my blades off initially. I had the smaller one but it wouldn't budge the factory torqued blades.

5. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

I agree! Pain in the but compared to most spindles. Mine were also torqued to 550ft lbs. when I removed the blades the first time. They are easy to take the blades off now but still a pain to get the center blade Installed. Maybe it's just me but I don't care to lay under the mower with it jacked up to get the center blade installed. I'm using a MoJack but I still don't like it or trust it. I like the other style spindle for ease of blade maintenance myself.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

You can't reach it with two breaker bars?

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

The fact you can't just block the blades and take the nut off is crazy. You have to have a breaker on both nuts so the bolt doesn't spin. Which then breaks my nuts.....

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

You take a impact to the top nut no need for a breaker bar. Nut comes off blade bolt falls to floor. Jack it up, change blades, hand tight nut, put mower down, impact back on.

If you hit something hard then a breaker bar and pipe might be needed. Usually you can wedge the wrench on the top side against the frame and then just use the breaker bar on the bottom. Use a 3ft pipe when needed.

Reedo likes this.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Sounds like an impact is the way to go with these Vrides. I never use my impact on my other mowers at all, don't have to.

10. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

I use the 12 volt Milwaukee Fuel impact. It has about 100ft/lb of torque max and makes the job super easy.

ShaneL. likes this.