Scag Vride2 VS Ferris V1

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by SouthernBlades, Sep 20, 2018.

1. SouthernBlades

SouthernBlades LawnSite Member

I have recently demo’d a Scag vride2 and a Ferris v1. I need a 48” stander with a full mulch kit. The Scag had a normal chute and the Ferris had a mulching kit.
    The Scag cut great scalped some uneven spots and IMO I thinks it’s a little big for a stander. But over all it was ok.
    Ferris handles great, cut good and perfect size. But the mulching kit sucks. It leaves a line of mulched grass on the chute side. I’m not cutting over grown yards!!
    My toro zero turn doesn’t do this at all.

I have heard from a few people that the Ferris mulching kit sucks and the Scag is better.

I have to have a good mulching stander what will be the best. I would rather end up with the Ferris but no way I can deal with this mulching problem. I told the dealer and he said to try gator blades instead of normal mulching blades but I don’t see this solving the problem because it’s just kicking all the mulch to the chute and leaving a trail.

I need a mower soon and don’t want to get something I’m not going to be happy with like the Zero then I have now.

2. SouthernBlades

3. SouthernBlades

4. SFL

SFL LawnSite Member

I have a 48 z2 with mulch kit. Proper deck leveling and tire pressure(both affect deck level) will make a great cut. As soon as deck gets off level by either wrong tire pressure or you hit something that caused it to go out of level it will start leaving a bad trail.

I’ve mulched all season( Spokane Wa: kbg, fescues, ryegrass). It does leave a slight trail even under ideal conditions. The way I deal with this is to either double cut(in a different direction) or cut in a clockwise circle from outside to inside.

The cut is great besides that.

5. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

Mulch kits on my FW’s are great. Scag kit clumps like a bit#% in wet w/those stupid kickers and the serrated blade

6. SouthernBlades

Thanks for the reply's kinda sounds like everyone has there own opinions.
    After talking to a few people sounds like the Ferris just doesn't mulch good.
    The majority of people I have heard from are saying the Scag is all around hard to beat.

Im going to demo a gravely hopefully in the next week if the dealer can ever get his hands on a demo.
    I really like the option to raise and lower the deck on the Gravely, think it would really be convenient.

MNLawns likes this.
  7. PremierLandscapeForsyth

PremierLandscapeForsyth LawnSite Member

Have you considered Wright ?

8. SouthernBlades

No dealers any where close, we have dang near everything else with in 45 mins

9. Green Machine 2

Green Machine 2 LawnSite Member

I run Ferris mulch kits for leaves in the fall and it does wonderfully. Although I will agree my old Scag I had with a mulch kit did better in the first week or two of the spring while we were out doing spring cleanups.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Serrated blade yes, in wet long conditions , kickers are effective , just not in their configuration or with the other bad design flaws of that kit. The kickers actually dont pack bad if set up right. What you are missing , is they don't work like the toro kickers , different velocity, different pressure. If you evacuate the deck , the grass does not overprocess the clippings.