1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Scag vs Ferris

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by russ5499, May 23, 2010.

1. russ5499

russ5499 LawnSite Member

Hi to all, Im looking to purchase a new mower and am interested in either a scag freedom z 52" or a ferris IS1500z 48". Both machines are comparably priced. At different mower places they boo hoo the ferris' suspension and say it will scalp and do a poor job cutting. The scag has a briggs and the ferris a kawi, Ive never been a big fan of briggs and really know nothing about the kawi. i mow about 4.5 acres fair amount of trees and uneven ground and a little rough. I guess thats why the ferris was enticing. I just sold a husqvarna 48-24 residential and was very displeased with its performance- would not turn unless stopped, on uneven ground it wanted to take off, deck plugged easily. was told by a few mower shops that it was inherent with a machine that light. I only cut my own property but want something that will last and be dependable. Also one shop has a country clipper- never heard of them so kinda left them out unless someone tells me different. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

2. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

3. biggziff

biggziff LawnSite Member

I demoed a 1500Z 48" and it did not cut nearly as well as the Exmark I bought. The local multi-line dealer did say that the Scag deck was the best available at this time.