Scag vs. John Deere

ksp107

LawnSite Member
Been running Deere (Z915B) for the past 7 years and really don’t have any complaints. My current 915 has the 25” Kohler, 60” cut, does a pretty good job.

Picked up a Scag Tiger Cat, 52”, with a suspension seat and Kawasaki 22hp, and I’ve been VERY impressed. It just seems like it’s more powerful, cut quality is better and the hydros are stronger. Makes me want to try a 61” Turf Tiger, especially with a Kawi motor.

What JD would be a relatively even comparison with the TT2? Z950 or 960?

Looking for opinions from others who have ran both and their thoughts....

My JD dealer is 10 minutes, Scag dealer is 30....

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Depends on which model of TT II you are looking at as far as engines go, but yes, a 950, 960 or 970 would be the ones to compare. I have a 950 and demo'd a TT II. There are things about both that I like over the other, but the TT II is one of only two other machines that I would consider when I finally replace this one .

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i have one of each. a z920a 54" deere i turned into a z950a and a scag cheetah 61".

either one is fine. mostly it's about having the right engine on the mower. that is the biggest thing. they both do the job just the same. i find most mowers are underpowered so get the biggest engine you can get on them when you buy one.

Scottdubya83

LawnSite Senior Member
I have an older 61” Turf Tiger with the Kawasaki liquid cooled fd750d (called 27hp back in the day, but now rated 25hp) and bought a 54” 915 new 2 years ago (25hp Kohler). I’ve never felt either machine to be under powered. I always thought my TT was a tank that could cut anything. My 915 has plenty of power to do everything I do with it (though I’m not trying bush hog or anything). When I bought the 915, I wanted the best machine I could get for the least amount of money. I think I made the right decision. A $12k mower wouldn’t have made me any more $ over the past 2 years than I’ve made with the 915. With my TT being older, I won’t comment on any comparisons. Just wanted to say I personally don’t get the need for the biggest engine available. Maybe I’d change my opinion if I ran one with 37hp, IDK.

OP
ksp107

ksp107

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the replies fellas!

Thinking about selling both of them and going with a TT2, 61” with maybe the Vanguard OR a JD 950 or 960m series. I do not like the hydraulic lift deck, prefer the foot pedal. I like the thought of the 27 or 31hp Kawa on the JD.

Ridin Green, could you post your likes and dislikes about each please?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
The foot brake on the JD is way nicer. The deck adjuster is nicer. The ease of maintenance is nicer. The straight left front caster arm is nicer for inside corner trimming. JD dealers are far more common than Scag dealers here. JD parts are in by the next day if needed and the cost of JD parts and maintenance supplies is less than what the Scag dealer charges for them.

The TT II rides better than my A model, but probably about the same as the newest JD's with the black and yellow suspension seat. The TT has a better COG and wider rear stance. It has a better selection of engine options. The TT was easier to keep from spinning on wet grass and felt even more planted than the JD. The larger diameter rear tires on the TT II is nice.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
The cut is very close IMO, but IME the JD cuts the clippings up finer, which makes sense since the blades are closer to the front baffle than they are under the V+. I would like to see JD start using Vanguard engines again (they already are on certain machines they are making, just not on the 900's yet) and I would like to see a LQ option.

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks RG!!

What about engine options, what do you prefer? Also, how would you compare the quality of cut?
Have each mower cut 1 or 2 swipes and do the same with the other mower and they will be side by side for the comparison.
I would recommend Kawasaki. I have owned both kohler and kawi. To me personally I find the kawi to be more commercially built and alot stronger.
I have a 15.5 kawi 481v engine on my ztr. It's fuel consumption is great. Just my 2 cents worth.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Been running Deere (Z915B) for the past 7 years and really don’t have any complaints. My current 915 has the 25” Kohler, 60” cut, does a pretty good job.

Picked up a Scag Tiger Cat, 52”, with a suspension seat and Kawasaki 22hp, and I’ve been VERY impressed. It just seems like it’s more powerful, cut quality is better and the hydros are stronger. Makes me want to try a 61” Turf Tiger, especially with a Kawi motor.

What JD would be a relatively even comparison with the TT2? Z950 or 960?

Looking for opinions from others who have ran both and their thoughts....

My JD dealer is 10 minutes, Scag dealer is 30....
There isn’t a JD equal to a turf tiger
They all have belt driven decks
The turf tiger is shaft driven, like a walker or grasshopper

Top Forums