Scag Walk Behind - Adjusting steering controls

Does anyone know how to adjust these control handles on the Scag SWZT? I Tried loosening the bottom of the rod and the top of the rod and turning the rod to adjust the control lever on that side. I went both ways and still can't get any action. The manual is vague on this and tells me nothing. The issue I'm having is in my left steering. When I pull the control lever on the left side, it doesn't return all the way back down. It releases to about 3/4 of the way and causes the mower to track to the side rather than going straight. I manually have to push the control lever back down to get it going straight again. This is the first issue I've had with this machine and is a bummer because I'm too far behind to run to the dealer, and tomorrow and Thursday are my VERY BUSY days. Any help is appreciated.

No-one know anything about this? I need this thing running right this morning? I looked at it again after dark last night. I found out when pull the controls, then release, the rod lifts this metal piece notch. When I let the control go, it returns the metal piece back on to a gold bar. On the right side it's returning to the gold bar, on the left the metal notch is only returning half way. It does this in 6th and 7th gear, yet when I put it in 5th or lower, the left side reurns all the way down to the bar.

herler

LawnSite Fanatic
The only thing I can think of is, well two things...

1. Make a visual comparison between the sides, taking a good look, like a game of tell the difference, see if you can spot anything missing on the left side from looking at the right and keep in mind that they'll be mirror images of one another.

2. Possibly a spring has gone weak or become miss or disconnected?

I lied, three:
3. Using compressed air clean it all up real good, if there's no compressor a rag and gasoline would likely work...
Then maybe spray a tiny bit of Wd-40 along all the movable joints and junctions and bushings and pivots might help.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
My left side doesn't come back to the gear bar either.:dizzy: I know one thing I don't want bigger spring. I think those ball joints on the end of the rod might be in a little bind. Just put fluid film on the pivots it will loosen up.

The only thing I can think of is, well two things...

1. Make a visual comparison between the sides, taking a good look, like a game of tell the difference, see if you can spot anything missing on the left side from looking at the right and keep in mind that they'll be mirror images of one another.

2. Possibly a spring has gone weak or become miss or disconnected?

I lied, three:
3. Using compressed air clean it all up real good, if there's no compressor a rag and gasoline would likely work...
Then maybe spray a tiny bit of Wd-40 along all the movable joints and junctions and bushings and pivots might help.

Ed, I've been spraying lube on all the pivoting joints weekly when ever I grease it. I figured out the problem this morning. I was just trying to do it in the dark last night dumb-founded. As soon as the light came up this morning it took me about ten minutes to have it adjusted and right. :laugh: For future reference if you encounter the same issue since I know you have the same machine. Each of the control handles have that long rod that goes down from each control lever. Each rod has two jam nuts, one on top, one on bottom. You loosen both the one on top. Then that rod can be turned in and out to adjust the control lever. On top of that rod there's a piece that screws into it that can also be adjusted. You want to put it in neutral and adjust it to where the controls are even. After you get them even, put it in 7th gear, pull in the controls and let off. You'll here a light tap noise when the machine is off and see the piece hitting the tab at the bottom. If their not making contact with that tab when you release you need to re-adjust. My issue was when I released the control one was hitting that tab and the other wasn't, which was causing the machine to track to one side unless I pushed the control lever out. (Kind of like it had slack in it.) Now the machine honestly feels better at the controls then it did when it was brand new.

sonniepotts

LawnSite Member
had the same thing happen to me on my 36 and 52 swzt. They are sealed bearings. Don't use oil. Use brake cleaner and get the grime and grease out.jack the back of the mower up and put it in gear. Then spray the sealed bearing and work the handles. This will take a few time to get all the grime and grease out. It will work better
Posted via Mobile Device

Eric E Thomas

LawnSite Member
I have a 2015 SWZT and my left handle is sticky also. I have to push it back out after pulling it. Is the fix jacking it up and spraying the seals bearings while working the handles? Thanks

Top Forums