1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Scag with Briggs engine, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman87, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

I was at the local mowery today and saw a new scag ztr with a briggs engine. Naturally, I was quite wary of any engines smelling like homeowner level quality. But the sales guy said theres nothing to be afraid of and it comes with a one-year commercial warranty. Its called the FreedomZ. The 48" deck will run you $5000- thats cheap. Then I went on Scag's website and read a different story. It does have the warrant, but they make it abundantly clear that the FreedomZ model is intended for homeowner or light commercial. Does this sound like a foolish purchase? Should I steer clear of this and get something undisbutably commercial duty? Scag makes something called the tigercub that would be perfect but its a thousand more, guesse thats a sign. The exmark 48" is around $6200 in my area. But perhaps the mower is great and I'd be a fool to spend more money. Ya'll weigh in.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well ...
    I think you've answered your own question :p

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What type of work are you going to use a new ZTR on? Size of lots? Gates?

I can't think of any reason to get a Freedom Z for commercial but the website says "The Freedom Z is primarily designed for entry-level commercial use and estate / consumer use". There are better options I'm sure. It is designed for the home owner with a tractor wanting to save time.

4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

How many lawns do you have? I know most guys on here will swear by the Tiger Cub, so for an extra grand, I don't think you could go wrong.

5. mowerman87

mowerman87 LawnSite Member

I suppose I just wanted to save money. I would use it on about 10 jobsites a week, some commercial properties, some just huge yards. But I'm growing and its an investment so you have to think about longevity. Gates are not an issue, but trailer space is; the 52" adds more length and lately I've been keeping 3 21" mowers on the trailer so 48" is just right. My current zero is 50", but I'm getting a poor cut and Ive tried to fix. I will probably do an engine/body swap with it. Well, tigercub here I come, if I have the funds...

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I wouldn't be afraid to get the Freedom Z. I used one for a week while waiting for my TC to come in. It cut great and felt solid as a rock.

Matter of fact, I almost kept the Freedom Z. The only reason I didn't because it doesn't offer a power assist bagger, just the standard bagger. Other then that, I would have kept the Freedom Z.

7. white1

white1 LawnSite Member

When I bought my hustler, I found the scag tiger cub on sale for about $500 more than my super duty. I went to get it dead set on the scag, but the salesman talked me out of it. Said they have had a lot of problems with the 26 Brigs. He said he would be more than happy to sell me a scag with the kohler or the kawi, but recommended staying away from the brigs, told me even though it was on a commercial machine it wasnt up for the task. Long story short, I saved $500 and went with the Hustler