1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scag ZTR worth the money?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oaktree59, Jan 8, 2008.

1. oaktree59

oaktree59 LawnSite Member

I am getting my first ZTR and I have it narrowed down to a Hustler 52" for around $6700 with mulching kit and tax or Scag tiger Cub 48" for $7600 with tax and Mulch Kit. I do not mind paying the extra if it is worth it. Thank You

2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

If your budget can afford it, look at the Scag Wildcat. Much more commercial features than TC.

3. oaktree59

Wildcat was a little bit too much. The cub is my limit $7500

4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Which cub model are you looking at? 19 kaw? or the Briggs? I would get the Scag first of all. They are bullet proof machines. I would also get the 19 kaw option. I agree with two seasons get the wildcat if you possibly could. Are these prices on an 08 model? Seems a little high on the cub model. The Wildcat will hold hills better and be more comfortable depending on your size. I had a Wildcat and loved it. I still regret selling it! I dont think you can purchase a better all around small residential yard commercial machine than the Scag wildcat. For your average yards they work flawlessly! Go Scag

5. oaktree59

Kaw 19 engine. Thanks for the comments

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, go the Wildcat. I purchased one spring of 06 and have not regretted it , I got 52", 26hp LC Kawasaki. A couple of months ago my dealer had new identical model on his floor for $7500, so you might check around.

7. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I realize Scag is a very good brand but that just seems awful high to me. I bought my Ferris new for $5500, and thats with tax. It has a 21hp Kaw and I haven't had one bit of trouble with it. Just my 2 cents.

8. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

TNT--

Your market is much different than other parts of the country. Most dealers are not going to sell them that cheap and stay in business.

oaktree59--

I would go with the Huster Mini Z. That little machine is bullet proof, with much less maintence than the Scag--- a lot less parts for greasing, and less money with a better warranty.

9. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I would definately look around! That is real high for a scag! But I would look at Dixie Chopper Exmark Country Clipper etc.

10. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you have the best choice in a Scag. I have demoed alot of mowers this winter. Exmark,Deere,Hustler,Badboy,And Scag. I done alot of research on this website and read alot of posts on why "their" mower is the best. After looking thoroughly and given each mower a good look at and demo there is no other choice than Scag in my opinion. There will be some disagree but after giving all of these brands a good look I still think Scag is the way to go. I would go and demo whatever you think you might want first then go and demo the Scag and you will see what I mean. Good luck to you in 08.