1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Scaling In New construction landscaping? Advice...help!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mulchgypsy, Nov 4, 2019.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Back in 2008ish I posted a help wanted add on Craigslist and I received over a 100 applications, maybe more. We were paying $12 an hr starting wage.

2. CorridorLawnCare

CorridorLawnCare LawnSite Member

T

Thanks for the "Local" perspective, I would be interested to know their debt structure, I would not be surprised if the builders they work for have money in?

I'm interested to see what they are doing, looking in from the outside there is a lot I like and a lot I don't like...

@mulchgypsy I just shot you an Instagram message

3. Green Insurance Guy

Green Insurance Guy LawnSite Member

The big production builders here are. Bloomfield, Highland homes, History Home makers, Drees, Ashton woods, Lennar, Centex, First Texas Homes, Pulte Homes, Shaddock Homes, Our Country Homes, Toll brothers...[/QUOTE]

I've had some clients do work for many of the companies you've mentioned, with pretty good results as far as payment goes. Keep in-mind their contractor/vendor insurance requirements can be steep depending on what you have presently.

A builder you should keep an eye on in the Dallas is Castlerock Communities. They're based in Houston, but DFW is their newest growth territory. I've met with their Comptroller and have a couple clients that are working with them. Good results and they treat their subs honestly. Could be a company you could grow with...

4. OP
    OP
    mulchgypsy

mulchgypsy LawnSite Member

I've had some clients do work for many of the companies you've mentioned, with pretty good results as far as payment goes. Keep in-mind their contractor/vendor insurance requirements can be steep depending on what you have presently.

A builder you should keep an eye on in the Dallas is Castlerock Communities. They're based in Houston, but DFW is their newest growth territory. I've met with their Comptroller and have a couple clients that are working with them. Good results and they treat their subs honestly. Could be a company you could grow with...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. One of my custom builders has 4-5 houses coming up and he is trying to get me in with 4 of the other project managers. I am having more success with high end custom builders then production but I’m still going to keep marketing all of them. I understand a 7 figure landscape operation isn’t built over night. I feel like persistence and consistency are key in construction.

5. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

When I was in new construction, the production margin was extremely thin, but we were able to make good bank on the warranty punch work that they threw us while our crews were doing production.

It was kind of fun because you got to know many of the other tradesmen since we were all in the same subdivision day after day and year after year.