1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scalping bermuda?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bama Lawn, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Bama Lawn

Bama Lawn LawnSite Member

Just got a 36 V ride having scalping issues on a bermuda yard at 2 1/4". I haven't rode the mower much, but I have less scalping with my 61" turf tiger. Anyone have any suggestions or had this problem with a V ride?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would start with checking your tire pressure. Then measure the deck on a level hard surface. I have demoed a v-ride and the one I used was a 36 and it cut fine. I only used one for a few days so I have limited experience with one. I have 3 Scag Turf Tigers. You might also try switching blades maybe you have a bent one.

3. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats pretty low, did you adjust the scalp wheels? The factory usually puts the scalp wheels in the highest position, for 2 1/4 they would need to be lowered. Check with the manual or the deck may have a decal indicating the setting for this height of cut.

4. Bama Lawn

Bama Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks, I will check it.

5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Actually cutting Bermuda at 2.25" is pretty high. It causes a lot of stem growth and will lay down in a patteren when mowed in one dirrection. I will bet since you went fron a 61" down to a 36" you are cutting against the grain and with the narrow deck you are following the ground closer and hitting more high spots. After a few cuttings your problems should go away till you change size mowers again. When I start to scalp Bermuda for overseeding I always change dirrections and go against the grain and even just a tad shorter for the first pass looks like you dropped the mower all the way down.
    Posted via Mobile Device