Scheduling winterizations

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by snomaha, Sep 25, 2019.

1. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Do you let the customer dictate the day and time of service, or do you tell them what day day.

What percentage of your customers have the water off prior to the service? Do you charge more if the water is still on and you need to get into the house?

Thinking of restructuring our fee schedule for winterizations...

2. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Generally speaking, we wait for the customer to contact us for winterizing. Personally, I’d like to be a bit more proactive, but it’s not my show yet. Still, we wait for them to contact us, then schedule them a day/time that works for both our schedules. We need access for the water and for timers, 95% of our customers do not shut the water off themselves, and the remaining 5% who do half of them had probably turned the hoses off and not actually the irrigation supply, so even if they tell me it’s off I prefer to verify. We charge the same if the water is on or off when we arrive.

hort101 likes this.
  3. benhargreaves

benhargreaves LawnSite Member

We send out cards with the date on it. They are instructed to contact us if they need a specific date or time. Usually the water is not off, and I prefer it that way. Just today, homeowner said water was off. I checked for myself. Water was off, but drain was open. Not the prefered way to winterize. We always check to make sure the water is off. Charge the same whether or not we turn water off.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

We send out cards and when an initial appointment is made on a date we begin calling to try and fill that date with the closest clients so the route is dense. It works well for us as the office is on top of things. I have clients tell me and my techs when we show up "I turned the water off" which near always means they turned the controller off. Most don't understand the connection between electrical activation and a mechanical valve. And they just keep getting less intelligent by the day.

If I could go back in time to ancient Rome, pull any citizen off the street, bring them to the present and show them the way an irrigation system works they would pick it up in no time. Along with most things.

A sad statement to make on present day denizens indeed.

hort101 and Hayduke like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

We have made it too easy for the customer over the years and slowly more and more won't have the water off and want to dictate the time and day. 15 years ago, I would guess that 70% of our customers would have the water source off and we did'nt need them home to winterize - that percentage has flipped now to 30% water off and no need to be home.

Thinking of going to a model next year where you can name your date and time for 2X the normal winterization price. Also considering making coming out to shut of the water supply as separate service call - we have a couple of semi retired guys still working for us that could go shut off waters all day long.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

And you can charge more than babysitting rates even though it seems like the same job! :nod:

snomaha likes this.