• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

School district bid!!!

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
wow, got invited to bid on the school districts properties in our area.

there is a real amount of grass to cut. more than i thought for sure. we did the drive around discussing the properties today with the super. they are putting out to bid three contracts with about 5 schools each. wehope to land at least one of the contracts, we are going to price hard for this one as it does not take the delicate touch of our normal customers. you know what i mean.

many of you do schools and the like?? how are they?

there is one crappy stipulation, they wont let us mow till after school at 3pm or on weekends(except the summer is whenever). thought that kind of sucks as they can mow it themselves anytime, but contractors cant!?

that makes it way difficult to get them done as they are all very large. i may have to contest this as it seems pretty unfair. what do you think??

muxx

LawnSite Member
We have had the same issues. They haven't changed yet, so we mow the ball fields and the areas away from the school first and when school lets out we start around the school. One district we do says it is for safety reasons, but while school is in there is no one outside, because it is a high school and no recess, but after school they are every where. They have no track and they use the driveway around the school, so the safety issue after school would seem worse, but they insist on doing it this way.

Lawn Pawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm not very smart.... but this does not seem to make sense even to me. Only mow after school or weekends ?

It would make sense on the liability level, if the kids were gone, but they never are. Always cars.. kids... and activities going on all the time, weekends not so much maybe. I have a property across the street from two high schools and need to pick my time for safety sake.

But it's their game their rules.

whosedog

LawnSite Senior Member
I work full time for a school district;the reason they don't want you there when school is in session is the teachers complain about the noise;it distracts the kids and you could possibly put a rock through a window into a classroom(did happen but the kids were in the lunch at the time).All of our grounds work is done in house with BOE equipment;winter time grounds guys go on bus runs work with painter etc.We have a huge Jacobson turbo diesel 60G does big fields in no time;work is scheduled around school activities.

OP
grassman177

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
if for safety then why are they mowing during the day currently??? that is the kicker. the guy has no answer for why they can do it and we cant.

this bid has no ball fields included, they are still going to maintain those themselves

Scagmower48

LawnSite Senior Member
The schools around here don't go for much money for what Ive seen. One guy does a 3 hr mow at a school for like $120. I was interested in bidding one of the schools and I showed up for a mandatory walk through at one school and there was like 20 people there already, and I was 10 minutes early. They just cut each others throats.

Also if you win the bid, after each time you mow it you have to have a sheet signed saying you mowed it by somebody. Thats means you have to track this person down and have them sign it. Could possibly be a real pain.

Sounds better where you are since they only have 3 bids. Maybe that keeps the prices up.

OrganicsMaine

LawnSite Senior Member
what are you running for mowers? If you have the right size, you could probably get this done, just plan on finishing your other work by 2:30, and heading over to the schools. Or, you could have a separate crew that could just work part time on Saturdays avoiding overtime with your regular crew.

Just a few thoughts on that.

whosedog

LawnSite Senior Member
if for safety then why are they mowing during the day currently??? that is the kicker. the guy has no answer for why they can do it and we cant.

this bid has no ball fields included, they are still going to maintain those themselves
They want areas close to the buildings done after hours due to classroom disruptions,probably don't want to do it in house because it's overtime for their in house guys,cheaper to bid it out.

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
We use to do a school back when I was mowing. And have alot of customers that do schools now. They are allways getting high amounts of bids and change hands alot. Here in my town one of our 8 acre schools went for $120. Its almost redicilous how cheap they find people to do them.