Scotts mesotrione

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, May 24, 2018.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped at a local garden store. I looked at the new Scotts starter fertilizer with weed and crabgrass control, (contains mesotrione). Cost was $69.95 for only 5000 sqft bag--now on sale for only $49.95. Good stuff, I am sure.
    The woman garden store clerk did not know much about it. Didn't know it was only available from Scotts. Thought it was about the same as the off-brand stuff that only contains prodiamine--these bags claim weed control because they block the seed of a few types of weeds. Exaggerated claim in my opinion.

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I watched a lady walk away with a bag of corn gluten for bed weed control from a garden center the other day.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

$50 for 5k feet?!? Yowza that pricey

4. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

That must be a pricy garden store. Home depot has it for $35.98.

I use it for seedings, but seedings only. Crabgrass is really the only weed I worry about when seeding. I wish it worked on poa annua and trivialis. I still seem to get some of that when I seed.

It’s kind of hard to tell what it prevented because you don’t know what didn’t grow.

5. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

I used it when redoing/seeding a section of my centipede lawn. It works to a degree. The tolerant plants, in my case centipede sprout up through the soil with no problem. The weeds still sprout but when they do they quickly turn white and die some time after. It only affected maybe 50% of the weeds and only lasted maybe two weeks. I still had a weed infestation soon after that I had to deal with using various other products.