Scotts spreader settings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crusty_crab80, May 19, 2015.

1. crusty_crab80

crusty_crab80 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alaska

Customer just gave me 2 scotts spreaders. Brand new in box. These are speap-ish homeowner type spreaders but hey...free.

They are assembled, and I calibrated them. Can't find any info about their spread rates. Do the number mean lbs/1000 sq ft? (1 = 1lbs/1000 sq ft, 5 = 5lbs/1000 sq ft, etc). I figure after all I have all the basic info then I can do the 10x10 tarp method.

The two models are a "Scotts speedy green 2000" and a "Scotts turf builder edge guard DLX"

In case anyone else needs to calibrate using scotts method:
    Scotts speedy green 2000 - Put it on "2" setting. "Squeeze trigger against handle. The calibration line on the top of the shut off plate should be aligned with the back edge of the hopper opening." Or basically, pull the handle to open the hole, and watch for a small line on the black opener to be alighted with the green hopper.

Scotts turf builder edge guard DLX - set spreader to "4". A 9/13th drill bit should fit tight/snugly inside the opening when handle is pressed.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  2. Nunyabisnes

Nunyabisnes LawnSite Bronze Member

Those numbers aren't how many pounds per 1,000. They're just a setting number. Some fertilizers will have the calibration number on the bag but more often than not you'll have to calibrate it yourself by marking off an area and applying the fertilizer and then picking it up and weighing it to see how much you put down. There's been guides posted on here to explain it in more depth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. OP
    OP
    crusty_crab80

from Alaska

Damn...I was afraid of that. The idiot on the phone w scotts assured me those are lbs/1000 settings.

Anybody else can confirm or deny this? Thats a lot of work for these dinky things thatll last about a season.

4. Nunyabisnes

Nunyabisnes LawnSite Bronze Member

It may be per 1000 with certain fertilizers but if you were to use a micro pellet vs your typical sized ones, they will be different settings to put out X lbs per 1000.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. OP
    OP
    crusty_crab80

from Alaska

Exactly. I was hoping to calibrate (done) the spreaders using the scotts method. So they would as new from factory. Then hopefully use the dial setting (hoping it was lbs/1000) then calibrate it using my fertilizers and compare how accurate the dial is/was.

6. weeze

weeze Banned

usually says on the bag what setting to you. most of the time the setting is 3 or 3 1/2 on the dial.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

My Speedy Green 3000 has lasted for 14 years of heavy use, cheapy HO model or not. I always use the setting # called for on the bag. If it doesn't have a setting number, I judge it by the size of the pellets compared to Scotts products that do show a number.

Doc8406 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    crusty_crab80

from Alaska

Have you ever calibrated it using actual weights, tarp, measuring off an area etc etc?
    Do you know if the dial is just setting for lbs/1000 sq ft?

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

No, never tried that with the Scott's spreader since I use a lot of Scotts products anyway, and the rate is always on the bag, but most other ferts I use also show the setting number for Scott's spreader since it is so common. I can tell you this though, the numbers work out close to being 1K for each setting number.

I have tried to determine the rate with my Earthway spreader. Finally gave up since there are so many different sized granules with varying densities, even from the same source, that I got the original sheet from Earthway that tells many of the setting for for different brands of fert.

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan