Screws falling out of enclosed trailer skin

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Greensmith33547, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Greensmith33547

Greensmith33547 LawnSite Member

I have a trailer that is only a couple of years old, but quite a few months ago all of a sudden the screws holding in the skin on the gate of the trailer started coming out on their own and so the skin is starting to come off. I have put longer screws back in, and I've put the original screws back in but both of those seem to just keep coming out on their own. what would you guys recommend me to put on the screws when I put them in to keep them from falling out? would something like liquid nails work since it's metal going into metal or is there something else that you can think of I could put on there?

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

You could try drilling completely through and put a bolt with a nylon nut on. Just keep it long enough to thread it on.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Greensmith33547

That's a good idea. I was thinking that but just was hoping to do something that makes it seem a little more factory done in case I sell it soon.

4. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

When you get ready to sell it just paint over the ends of the bolts/nuts. You don't have to do all of them, but it should be enough not to worry about your skins flying off.

Greensmith33547 and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Greensmith33547

True. I just realized I have 1 screw keeping the middle of the gate from opening up.

6. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

some sort of caulk or adhesive like you mentioned would work. I would go with clear. My trailer dealers specifically told me that after a few years these screws would start coming out. They sell a kit with a fatter replacement screw that can do the entire trailer to have it hold again. I imagine you can only do this so many times and the next round you're probably adding new screws. If your screws are on the studs, which are metal, you could go with a larger diameter and probably get more time out of it.

7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Imo you need some rubber washer or caulking on screw heads to seal them with either bigger screws or through bolts and nuts

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Metal crew with thread cutter tip will hold....put em in with hammer driver.

9. JoeRagMan

JoeRagMan LawnSite Member

I'd recommend using galvanized fender washers on the skin side as fasteners tend to pull through soft material such as aluminum. Good luck with the repair.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

I need pics gosh damnt:realmad: