Screws falling out of enclosed trailer skin

Greensmith33547

LawnSite Member
I have a trailer that is only a couple of years old, but quite a few months ago all of a sudden the screws holding in the skin on the gate of the trailer started coming out on their own and so the skin is starting to come off. I have put longer screws back in, and I've put the original screws back in but both of those seem to just keep coming out on their own. what would you guys recommend me to put on the screws when I put them in to keep them from falling out? would something like liquid nails work since it's metal going into metal or is there something else that you can think of I could put on there?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
You could try drilling completely through and put a bolt with a nylon nut on. Just keep it long enough to thread it on.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
When you get ready to sell it just paint over the ends of the bolts/nuts. You don't have to do all of them, but it should be enough not to worry about your skins flying off.

OP
Greensmith33547

Greensmith33547

LawnSite Member
When you get ready to sell it just paint over the ends of the bolts/nuts. You don't have to do all of them, but it should be enough not to worry about your skins flying off.
True. I just realized I have 1 screw keeping the middle of the gate from opening up.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
some sort of caulk or adhesive like you mentioned would work. I would go with clear. My trailer dealers specifically told me that after a few years these screws would start coming out. They sell a kit with a fatter replacement screw that can do the entire trailer to have it hold again. I imagine you can only do this so many times and the next round you're probably adding new screws. If your screws are on the studs, which are metal, you could go with a larger diameter and probably get more time out of it.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Imo you need some rubber washer or caulking on screw heads to seal them with either bigger screws or through bolts and nuts

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
I'd recommend using galvanized fender washers on the skin side as fasteners tend to pull through soft material such as aluminum. Good luck with the repair.