1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Seal over concrete stain?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Neighbor2NV, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Neighbor2NV

Neighbor2NV LawnSite Member

I just stained my garage floor a DARK gray, I read the directions front to back many times and it never says anything about sealing over the stain? The floor is 25+ years old, I washed/cleaned the surface with BEHR cleaner, then eched with their rust and echer, then a coat of the dark concrete stain. Should I get some BEHR concrete sealer and put it over the top? THX for the help...

2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I can't say with 100%, but believe a sealant is in order for you. I've seen the picture of your garage, it looks nice. Good luck.

3. Neighbor2NV

thanks for the help, the floor really makes the garage.... I emailed BEHR and I am waiting on there reply.. here is a pic, I have to do one side at a time but you get the idea..

floor1.jpg

4. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I would say the Behr's response will be NO. Their Concrete Sealer is a Silconized product that is designed to penetrate like the Silconized Acrylic concrete stain. If the sealer cannot penetrate, then it will sit on the surface and create a goopy mess.

Eric

5. Neighbor2NV

this is the email they sent me today....

Bill,
    Thank you for your inquiry into Behr products. The #910 One Part Epoxy
    Clear can be added for extra durability if desired; however, it isn't
    necessary.
    Gordon..

so? what do you all think?

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I didn't know that they had a clear in the 1-Part Epoxy. My only concern with adding the epoxy would be what happens when you need to do a maintence recoat in the future? Would you have to off strip off the clear coat before applying the stain again?

Eric

7. Neighbor2NV

well this is not going to work:( So DONT buy Behr Concrete stain for your garage floor. It WILL lift on to hot tires
    I just put down some cheap tile till I decide to do next.... Glad I only did half the garage.. less to strip off later

mvc-005s.jpg