1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Sealing trailer deck with used motor oil and diesel mixture

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fatboynormmie, Aug 15, 2019.

1. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

My father in law uses old motor oil and diesel fuel mixture on everything. From his barns to his trailer floors. And honestly it all looks great. I’ve been meaning to use it on the siding of my barn I just haven’t heard the time to do it.

fatboynormmie likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

Totally agree !!! It worked out nicely for me and is inexpensive compared to commercial products.

3. OP
    OP
    fatboynormmie

Finally had a good rain and I was able to grab some pics how well the used oil/diesel mix seals the wood. The water just beads right off it. Very pleased so far.

9184F5B8-A719-4B15-90A8-B14FAE200180.jpeg 54655AB2-E184-48A9-853A-4F506B608221.jpeg

4. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

What ratio of diesel to oil did you use?

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

this totally hurts my brain
    This is absolutely contrary to any experience I’ve ever had with diesel or motor oil spilled on anything including a trailer deck...

it’s like witch craft!!!
    Heretic!
    Charlatan!

now I’ve got to get a piece of wood to try this on...

fatboynormmie likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    fatboynormmie

Lol... no measuring devises were used but approx 50%used oil /50% diesel. Now I will say the used oil was from my gas trucks which consist of used 5w20 /10w30 synthetic oil. Using Used diesel oil may leave you with a darker stain effect.

7. OP
    OP
    fatboynormmie

I actually came across the used oil/diesel mix for trailers on a video on YouTube from a fella that has a channel called cottontop3. It intrigued me so I started looking up other videos on it. Old farmers swear by it for fencing and barns etc. Figured I had all the supplies already along with a freshly replaced deck on my trailer so I gave it a shot with good results. Give it a shot and see how it works out for you T.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

so you said it was "low cost" is that because you already had used motoroil and dint know what to do with it, or is motoroil/diesel cheaper than actual wood stain/sealer?
    We have a waste oil burner for our shop - we actually take other peoples oil from them, we dont have any "excess" oil laying around,

9. OP
    OP
    fatboynormmie

I don’t have a waste oil burner so I dispose of my used oil . So as far as cost I’m out basically the cost of the 1/2 gal of diesel . So for a couple bucks I can treat my trailer. Pretty cost effective IMO. Only other cost is a cheap pump sprayer .