Searching For A New Suspension Seat - Help Needed

Dynasty90

LawnSite Member
I need to upgrade the seat on my JD Z915B. Currently, it does not have a suspension seat. I have been doing some searching and find the following seats recommended. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a BIG difference between mechanical suspension and air suspension?

The property I mow is rough, so I am looking for the smoothest ride possible. The options range from $500 to $1,000....does spending double the money result in double the comfort?

If I go with a $500 range seat, I may consider adding Flex Forks with the money saved.

Suspension seat options:

1. Mechanical - Grammer MSG65 / KM 136 (with isolation kit) - approximately $630 for the seat, $135 for arm rests, $220 for the isolation kit = $985

2. Air - Grammer MSG75 - approximately $950 for the seat, $135 for the arm rests = $1,085

3. Mechanical - Milsco V5300 / KM 439 - approximately $550 for the seat, $105 for arm rests = $655

4. Air - Milsco V5400 / KM 238 - approximately $500 with arm rests

5. Mechanical - Seats Inc I3M - approximately $550 with arm rests

6. Mechanical - John Deere AUC11927 - approximately $760 with arm rests (I think this seat might be the Seats Inc I3M made to John Deere specs)

Please share your thoughts if you have any experience with upgrading your zero turn seat.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive, 72” deck, flex forks, with Grammer MSG65 Mechanical suspension seat with fore/aft isolation. I removed armrest, to me they only get in my way. Folded up they are behind elbows restricting arm movement, folded down causes you to sit with shoulders jacked up.

I also cut some rough terrain, the flex forks and fore/aft isolater makes for a much smoother ride.

If you watch some of the videos at Grammer site or YouTube, the guy you see in videos is the seat expert, I've talked to him on numerous occasions, he's very friendly and knowledgeable about the Grammer seats. He can tell you the the difference in the air suspension and mechanical suspension seats.

Hope this helps.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I have 2 JD mowers, a 925 and a 930. The 930 came with the ComfortGlide seat. After using it I couldn't stand to use the older 925 with the old style suspension seat so I found a Grammer MSG65 seat on Ebay for $350. At first I though it came with the fore/aft isolator but it did not. I eventually added it for a little over $200. After using the seat for awhile I felt it needed the upper backrest extension which was around $80. After all this the seat along with ZGlide front forks makes for a very comfortable ride. It would be even better if I were to go with pneumatic front tires. I should add I had to use spacers to mount the seat to the JD seat platform

I personally don't like armrests and have taken off any that came with the original mower.

While I don't have a full season with the Grammer I'm thinking it may be a little better at absorbing shock than the JD ComfortGlide but I'll give it a little more time before I make a final judgement.

This is my experience.

OP
D

Dynasty90

LawnSite Member
@JLH52
@ArTurf

Thank you both very much for your post. I was really wondering how much of a difference the fore/aft isolator $200 add on really makes. It sounds like you both agree it makes for a noticeably better ride.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
This is a pic of my mower with Grammer MSG65 with fore/aft isolater with armrest removed.

This seat was standard equipment on this 2018 -2019 model, in 2020 Hustler changed to Milsco 13M seat that does not have fore/aft isolation, which I think was a big mistake.

First pic is my mower with Grammer MSG65, second pic is Milsco 13M.

7E9C0278-8454-49C3-83C2-C767DB8C51CA.png
EACDE89A-2027-4BF6-85F1-8F09A2E2F26C.png

OP
D

Dynasty90

LawnSite Member
When ordering the Grammer MSG65 seat, will I need to add the option for the operator presence switch $85 in order for my zero turn to function?

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
@JLH52

Is the seat in the first picture (MSG65) a vinyl material or a fabric? How is the durability of it?
Seat on my mower in top pic is thick vinyl material and extremely durable.

My previous 2005 Hustler Super Z also had a Grammer seat, but didn’t have fore/aft isolater. It was a solid gray vinyl and looked like new at 1200 hrs.

If you’ll call Grammer they can build you any configuration that you want.

BTW, my current seat does not have lumbar support, but the 2005 model did.

Top Forums