searching for used backup compressor

grass disaster

LawnSite Gold Member
I have enough accounts where I believe it justifies having a back-up plan. i'd hate to loose my market share due to a broken compressor.

my main 85cfm rotary is great, but its old.

I'd like to purchase some type of skid mount or a smaller size unit I can fit in the back of my truck.

I'd be willing to spend, oh in the neighborhood of 3 grand. If that's even possible. $1500 would make me sleep better, knowing I'd have something I coupld continue working with.

I only have about 2k into my current unit.

20181222_151102.jpg

OP
grass disaster

grass disaster

LawnSite Gold Member
How many do you blow out?
Enough where I feel the need.
with the lack of available rentals in my area especially. nothing worse than trying to line up a rental.

whats everyone using for back of truck compressors, not finding a lot of info.

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Just about all the truck-mount compressors sold at competitive prices have imported pumps, if not imported everything.

Now if "sunny Minnesota" meant near Minneapolis, their might be an old Speedaire pump (sold by Grainger) still available on Craigslist. The description made it sound like one of the ones that can push 35+ cfm at a lower sprinkler-friendly pressure.

OP
grass disaster

grass disaster

LawnSite Gold Member
It would help if you told us the average size of your accounts and how many if you want any advise on what a suitable back up would be
only service residential. 4-14 zones.
I have around 50 give or take. I realize its probably peanuts to you guys.

Just about all the truck-mount compressors sold at competitive prices have imported pumps, if not imported everything.

Now if "sunny Minnesota" meant near Minneapolis, their might be an old Speedaire pump (sold by Grainger) still available on Craigslist. The description made it sound like one of the ones that can push 35+ cfm at a lower sprinkler-friendly pressure.
Yes, i'm just south of minneapolis.
I didn't see that on cl. I dont really know what I'm looking for though.
35 cfm seems like it would be sufficient for my residential systems.

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
only service residential. 4-14 zones.
I have around 50 give or take. I realize its probably peanuts to you guys.

Yes, i'm just south of minneapolis.
I didn't see that on cl. I dont really know what I'm looking for though.
35 cfm seems like it would be sufficient for my residential systems.
Search with "
10HP 4 Cylinder 80 Gallon Speedaire Air Compressor" - the pump number is probably wrong in the ad. Look at Grainger 3z241 - sight unseen, it isn't possible to tell whether it has the head unloaders (they hold the intake valves open, so the pump can free-wheel while running by engine power) or not. Strictly for the tinkerer who can set up a bare pump to run from an engine of sufficient size (at least 16 HP)

In fact, Grainger sells a truckmount compressor for less than $2K - an advantage of Grainger is that they maintain a service parts inventory for the bigger compressors they sell.

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
Service vehicle truckmount compressors have 30 gallon tanks. One century-old brand is Quincy. This thread has served to inform me that the old Emglo compressor line has been taken over by Jenny. What I like from the photo of the Jenny is that they added some fittings to make draining the engine oil easier.