Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Adapt, Overcome, Conquer.

Sounds like a good time to start pushing irrigation installations.

It's 2:30 and I'm D-O-N-E for the day (started at 6:45 though), but the dry weather makes work a lot faster-less grass clippings, less trimming, less weeds in beds, fast blowing. In a way it's great, but I'd rather have a little rain so that the non-irrigated look great like the irrigated lawns. Also, the seed applied three or so weeks ago is suffering/not germinating/thin in dry areas and that makes me mad...........

NW Vermont checking in. DRY here, grass has not really greened up, most places are still dead brown. We should be mowing this week, but snow cover stayed late and cleanups are about a week behind. I was on one today that has quite a bit of clover and the clover was WILTED! That's scary. We had about 30% of normal rainfall for April, most of that was before the snow was gone. I do cleanups with a dethatcher and bagger and the dust cloud is terrible. I've got a couple more to clean and then get into lime and fertilizer but I'm hesitating to fertilize at this time. I'm worried that fertilizer will add to the drought stress and do more harm than good. Is this a valid concern? By the way, it was 86 and sunny/windy today, excellent drying conditions if I was putting up hay. Tomorrow is forecast for 86 and Wednesday is supposed to go 83. No rian in the picture right through the weekend.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Our average April rainfall is close to 4 inches...we had barely an inch, and most of it came down the beginning of the month while the ground was still frozen so it just ran off.

Still no rain here and they are calling for isolated thunderstorms Sunday. Ya Right! We rarely get any of that isolated crap. Whatever happen to spring showers bring may flowers? Gone with low gas prices I guess. Thats what we suppose to average Lawnguy but that hasnt happen in a long time regularly. Its either feast or famine. That big ol high just sits off the coast blocking the rains and letting them sit and flood the midwest

People in the south are tightwads when it comes to water. They dont like paying for it at all. Well not all but most. Every year I replant yards and they spend a bundle on that. But water it so it might have a chance to grow year after year? Haaaiill no! A man told me the other day he wanted his yard to look as good as his neighbors yards and ask me what we needed to do. I said we can plant fescue like the rest but it better put in a sprinkler system if the grass is going to have a chance. He said "I have never seen them water their grass" They dont water their grass he said. I said thats because you are never at home when they do. DUH! I didnt say the duh part to him LOL. He works from 7 to 7 6 days a week. Just because of the water factor he hasnt mentioned it anymore. People so stupid

Also push aeration since it aids absorption of water.

No rain here in almost western Maryland. Grass is starting to go dormant. Calling for rain on Friday night but I don't believe it.

The long range forcast at http://www.accuweather.com looks like we will have an above normal amout of rain for the next ninty days. Unfortunately, I don't have much confidence.

I cut a yard today and their was so much dirt kicked up that i had to stop the mower to see the little grass that was their and what i had been over. This was in the peoples back yard.

Even in wet Seattle they say no irrigation this summer, not offical yet but parks say no water on turf this summer. That means you rotary guys need to get reels and mow only a bit in spring and in the fall and visit infrequently in the summer.

Faucet timers for outdoor use are about $10 each at Walmart. Reccomend to your customers they get one for the front yard and one for the back, to make watering the lawn less of a hassle. They can turn on the sprinklers once a day and not have to worry about turning them off.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.