1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Seasonal sod farm at personal residence.

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Crazy 4 grass, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

My wife and I live on 5 acres. We have a quarter acre garden. In the spirit of looking for extra ways to make money as well as utilize our property, this idea came about. What if after we harvested our garden at the end of the summer, we seeded it with grass? Grow the grass from sep-oct or until the snow flies. Then in the spring after it has come out of dormancy and has been mowed a couple times we could cut and sell the sod. We would then plant our normal vegetable garden. A side benefit is that there would be no available space for spring weeds to sprout up in the gardening space.

I realize finding a buyer for the sod might prove difficult. But suppose a buyer could be arranged. What are your thoughts on something like this?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

What about all your soil that gets removed?

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

Very good point. I'm guessing roughly 1.5 inches of soil would get removed each year then. After a few years that would start to get noticeable.

4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

It takes the good sod guys a year to grow a roll, those without irrigation 18 to 24 months.

ChicagoLawn and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Crazy 4 grass

It is appearing as if the idea was good in theory however impractical in execution.

6. knox gsl

Here the fields are lightly disc harrowed in the fall then seeded. The next spring it's ready to be cut.

7. knox gsl

About .75" is removed at a time as long as your doing the green net before you seed.

8. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Now I am wondering if I am wrong or if your location much farther south allows a roll to be grown that quick. It has probably been 15 years since I talked shop with a sod guy. Then my guy was the first to irrigate his fields and was pretty proud he could turn a roll in 12 months.

9. knox gsl

A good friend of mine used to be opporations manager at a local sod farm. What's even better than the recovery on fescue is the Bermuda. If you cut it shortly after green up in the spring it's possible to get a second cut that fall on the same area. No reseeding needed it recovers from the existing roots.

10. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

My lawn is my baby. No way I’m growing a beautiful lawn and selling it to some dude that couldn’t grow his own. He’s probably just kill what I sold him anyhow. Stay away sod buyer guy!!! I think I’d actually have a full on heart attack when the cutter showed up on site!