Seasonal work

Tony Macfarlane

LawnSite Member
Hi
I'm a skilled mini skid steer and excavator operator and I'm planning to travel to the U.S.
I'm looking for work and comrades anywhere. I've been running my own earthmoving and landscaping business in Australia for 8 years. Please say G'day and let me know where I should look for work
Tony.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
I am not sure what the laws are on foreigners working here, but I am sure you've already checked all of that out. I am sure that there are many opportunities for you all across the U.S. Some states will be better than others.

I assume you will be looking to work for someone else because you probably won't be bringing your equipment with you. It would be hard to find an operator job in the landscaping field. You would be better looking in the excavation field. Site clearing, utility work, highway work, etc. You could check job websites such as Indeed, CareerBuilder, Monsterjobs, etc.

Many companies do a lot of travelling and one of those might be ideal for you, since you will be able to see more.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Welcome to lawnsite Tony:waving:

Somewhat depends on when your planning and your trip how long?

Want warmer climate or want to play in the snow
Or you prefer dirt?

OP
Tony Macfarlane

Tony Macfarlane

LawnSite Member
Welcome to lawnsite Tony:waving:

Somewhat depends on when your planning and your trip how long?

Want warmer climate or want to play in the snow
Or you prefer dirt?
Thanks. Well I'm really open to all suggestions. I haven't planned a time as yet, but your Autumn (Fall?) Seasons looks very appealing. I'm quiet here in winter. Where is most of your seasonal summer landscaping?

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks. Well I'm really open to all suggestions. I haven't planned a time as yet, but your Autumn (Fall?) Seasons looks very appealing. I'm quiet here in winter. Where is most of your seasonal summer landscaping?
We're starting fall next month hereThumbs Up

There's a difference here weather and work wise between the snow areas in the north and the southern areas that stay above freezing for winter

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hi
I'm a skilled mini skid steer and excavator operator and I'm planning to travel to the U.S.
I'm looking for work and comrades anywhere. I've been running my own earthmoving and landscaping business in Australia for 8 years. Please say G'day and let me know where I should look for work
Tony.
Well you’re going to need a work visa, you can’t work legally while vacationing, which means you have to be sponsored by a business; which means you would already know where you’re working if you had such a visa.

The only way I know of to come to the US to work without a prior employment sponsor and legally work ; is on a student visa (not a j1- they have to be sponsored)
Students can work , but they have to be enrolled in an accredited school.

H1b visas are for jobs that require a minimum of a bachelors degree to perform (not excavation)
H1a visas are for clerical jobs (not you)
H2a visas are for Ag jobs (like farming)
H2b is for all other workers (that’s you)
J1 are exchange students , they come work here when their school in their country is out (summer/off season job) and go back to finish their degree; the purpose is to gain work experience they might not have an opportunity for in their country.

So that pretty much leaves you with needing a green card (lengthy process) or an H2b visa (of which there are only 66,000 in any given year and are always maxed out,

There is no option to just come here, show up and try some work. That could get you deported, fined or even arrested.

That being said, although autumn may be a good time to visit, it’s a lousy time to come look for a job.
Peak labor season is starting to grind down as most landscaping and road projects are coming to a close and getting ready. for winter , they key people are retained and the college students go back to school, the “filler” employees start to fade into their “winter jobs”,

If you want to work in the outdoors in North America you want April-October, the whole season ; because no one is going to waste a slot on someone who only wants to be here a months, AND the system doesn’t allow for it, you must be in and working within a few weeks of your visa approval which would generally be April 1.

We’re looking for equipment operators and could sponsor for next year.
But need the slot to be filled April - October

Isn’t our summer , your winter and visa Versa?