Second Round to being successful

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mike O'Connell, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Mike O'Connell

Mike O'Connell LawnSite Member

Well I started out back in spring of 2010 and went up to 2012 doing all resedential homes.
    Did some landscape, did some foundation work and did some rock work as well. I was working a full time job as well while cutting 15 or so lawns my first year out. I finally got smart and offered gutter cleaning as a service and made a killing.
    My first year out I made enough money to buy all equipment so I had two of everything, I was running Husqvarna back then, a 36 foot ladder, a trailer in the fall for 1300 on sale at tractor supply, a snapper snowblower from Ace hardware. I made alot of money off of one ad in the newspaper. I got business cards as well .

Second year I bought a pickup a 1979 4x4 Ford used of course. I graduated up to more customers only allowing enough so I was busy but could also work my other job, which was 55 hours a week. That year I bought a real JD 115 tractor and put a thatching tine in front and made some money in the spring during clean up weather. I was a hungry guy. Dedicated wanted to do this full time because I was making enough to where I almost made at work. I really considered it as an option. Still getting calls off of 1 ad again in the newspaper. I live about in 120,000 population town. I wanted to crack skulls out there, take names, ask questions later type of guy. I was really into it. My job didn't agree with me tho. So you know the story get canned lose job which makes me even more pissed off. Continued to work even harder no job left behind.

I did them all. And bid enough to make money and to keep the clientiel streaming. Come that fall I had a stroke of bad luck I suffered a massive heart attack which out me down l, almost taking my life. Very close. 6 months later I had another one from the other side that was plugged up. They took the side first that was bad and put stents in. I have a total of 9 stents in my Chambers . Sold everything because I was never going to go back i told myself, never going to work that hard ever again. Well that changed too. I'm going to restart up again. I'm going to treat it like I did when I first started out, with nothing.
    Oh I can, trust me. I can get all that stuff back now, my finances have changed. But this time I'm going to fully be involved 100%. I liked starting things and making things work from an idea or from scratch. I've always been like that.
    So one of these days I'm going to go and get my equipment, it's still winter here lots of snow this year. I haven't decided what I will buy just yet.

Still thinking about it. I beat the hell out of the Husqvarna when I had it almost 10 years ago. I might just do that again. Well, that's my story. This spring I'm going to go full speed ahead, batter up, I'm going back to the old me because ah why not? You only live once, might as well do what you like doing. I've been mowing lawns my whole life. It's just in 2010 I went legal. Licensed and insured. but I'm going to start new name, new look, new everything. Appearance is everything in this biz. From the lawns all the way down to your shoelaces you have to look that persona-that fit. You can show up and look like you climbed out of a 5 day bender, I highly doubtful you'll be working much longer. This will be good for me. Give me motivation and some excitement again. Looking forward to it. Had to get this off my chest.

jonthepain, jackfox68 and Mark Stark like this.
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Bronze Member

Go Get em!

hort101 and Mike O'Connell like this.
  3. Michael Coley

Michael Coley LawnSite Member

I dig your attitude man just remember to take care of yourself to be able to take care of your clients

Mike O'Connell likes this.
  4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Mike sounds like you are ready to rock n roll my man! It's contagious! Have at 'em!!

5. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Midlothian, VA

You're an encouragement to all of us.

6. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Is op still with us?

7. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

I hope so.

South Hills Lawns likes this.
  8. Ruby

Ruby LawnSite Member

9. Ruby

Ruby LawnSite Member

Good luck. I've been mowing lawns for a long time. I ran my own business for a 11 years and Burt myself out now work for a company and miss doing my own now. So I kinda understand what ur saying.

10. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

OP hasn't been on lawnsite since 5 days after the post. Hopefully he has been too busy to check in. I'd like to hear an update as well.