Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in West Michigan and put in a new yard last year as part of a house project. Part of the yard was existing and is doing well, while much of the new portion is not. We planted a bluegrass mix and have overseeded a couple times. Our ground has a fair amount of clay which was re-spread with some topsoil. Unfortunately there was not enough soil used and I need to improve the ground. When I dig in various areas it void of topsoil. The landscaper mentioned topdressing with compost 2 or 3 times over the next couple years. My question is do we topdress with compost or a screened topsoil with compost added. Several local suppliers have the later which is less expensive. I am curious on your thoughts. My goal is to do what is best for the yard as I would rather only go through this once. We would do this ourselves vs. having the landscaper do it. Thanks in advance for thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
18,795 Posts
Sigh...its been hot in the last 3 weeks. And dry.
Grass grows fine on clay--provided other factors are good. And you said parts of the existing lawn are doing well. Since you did not mention irrigation--maybe there is no irrigation. Soil test is a good idea.

If you are going to do this yourself. Slit seed--with rented equipment. Or just overseed again followed by heavy raking to work the seed into the soil. Use plenty of seed (5 pounds per thousand sqft) to compensate for less than ideal conditions. Act fast! Seed is scarce this year--price will be high. Be sure to sow about 20 seeds per square inch. Add starter fert. August 15 is a good date. Warm soil causes quick germination--and the coming fall will be cool and rainy (on average). If no rain, be sure to water the grass every single day. Use good seed like Scotts Sun and Shade. Be sure it is disease resistant.
Apply grow-in fertilizer after about 3 weeks and 6 weeks.
Do not worry about weeds and crabgrass until spring.
Those are my ideas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the detail. Yes we have irrigation so that is a huge help. I think a slit seeder would be a good idea. When I did overseed I don’t think I roughed up the hard surface enough. Again thanks for taking the time to help me out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts