1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Securing Gas Cans in an enclosed - what do you all use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Mar 24, 2020 at 3:07 PM.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I had them screwed to the wall but the screws weren't helping. As they fell out I left them out and the racks work great. They do exactly what they are built to do.

hort101 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

So yours are just suspended from the top frame now? Wouldn't they swing side to side with no screws?

RussellB likes this.
  3. RussellB

You can put screws in but the panels are fairly thin on the enclosed trailers. They won't last long. I don't drive like a maniac or on the highway. I haven't had any problems and they,ve been in there for 5 or 6 years.

4. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

There are a few metal ribs behind the wood panels.

RussellB likes this.
  5. RussellB

Yup but on my trailer they were not convenient. I wanted my 5 gal can at the back of trailer and didn't want to climb over the mower to get to it and like I said, i haven't had any issues.

6. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I use the exact same rack em units. I have a 5 gallon one for my diesel can, and a 2.5 gallon one for my mixed gas. I have them screwed to the wall and haven’t had issues. I made sure to screw them to the studs.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Bfish

Bfish LawnSite Member

1x1 wood frame around the can, screw in a hook for strap/bungee. I like mine towards v-nose, just inside the side door.

8. RussellB

I drive my mower under the one I posted. How high do you want to lift a 5 gal can of gas?

hort101 likes this.
  9. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

Not a great idea to build a box and put gas cans in a closed box. That's rule number 1.

You shouldn't be using old style cans as they do not pass the new regulations. They also leak, all of them.

I've been using the metal cans for years and they are hands down the best, they're heavy yes, but they pour fast and they don't leak.

10. andyman5001

andyman5001 LawnSite Member