Sedge Hammer results at 1/6 gal per 1,000, 6,000 sqft per gal with a permagreen Triumph..

Mr Efficiency

LawnSite Bronze Member
The label on sedge hammer recommends one gallon per thousand square feet of liquid which I think is overkill and burns the turf because so much sticker is needed.

For a few years I have perfected this mix. I wonder if sedge hammer will take note.

I have my permagreen Triumphs
set up to get 6,000 sq feet per gallon of mix and traveling at 6 mph. 5 mph is too slow in my book.

I mix sedge hammer, .09 grams ×6 per gal with lesco eliminate at 6 oz per gallon. So 7 gallons I mix in one bottle of sedge hammer with 42 oz of lesco eliminate and 4 oz of lesco spreader sticker to treat one acre.

Results are awsome, nutsedge knocked out with weeds and no burning to the turf even up to 90° F.

I know the label says not to do this but it's the only way that I found out that I can treat a lawn with zedge hammer and a herbicide and not cause any damage at all to the turf.

Day of treatment
20190828_161712.jpg

20190828_161720.jpg

2 weeks latter. Nutsedge is almost completely dead and no burning of the turf
20190913_104628.jpg
20190913_104636-1.jpg

Last edited:

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
How do you dial down your ride on to 1/6 gal per k? Barely a fart in the wind...

OP
Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency

LawnSite Bronze Member
How do you dial down your ride on to 1/6 gal per k? Barely a fart in the wind...
I Use a smaller nozzle and go 1 mph faster then stock. Each adds 1,000 sqft per gall. I Get 72,000 sqft out of each fillup.
The faster speed also helps keeps dust and any possible spray drift from coming back in my face.

I changed 2 pulleys and the main drive belt.
For every hour on the Triumph, I save about 12 minutes going faster then stock.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Fast and creative solution, Mr. E!
I do not understand your calculations.
It is true--water is easier to measure than tiny amounts of dry chemical.
And you mix a whole bottle into the tank?
And then fill the tank only to 7 gallons?
Add Lesco Eliminate broadleaf herbicide.
And how much surfactant? An ounce per gallon--7 ounces? Or does the Sedgehammer already include the surfactant?

OP
Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency

LawnSite Bronze Member
Fast and creative solution, Mr. E!
I do not understand your calculations.
It is true--water is easier to measure than tiny amounts of dry chemical.
And you mix a whole bottle into the tank?
And then fill the tank only to 7 gallons?
Add Lesco Eliminate broadleaf herbicide.
And how much surfactant? An ounce per gallon--7 ounces? Or does the Sedgehammer already include the surfactant?
One bottle of Sledgehammer covers one acre, 7 gallons of mixed liquid covers one acre in my set up differently then stock PG Triumphs.
It takes too much time to use the little tiny scooper and put in 6 Scoops per gallon in the permagreen, easier to just make one tankful of 7 gallons at a time. I put in 6 oz of the Lesco eliminate per gallon also = 42 oz for 7 gallons. About 47 oz less of water is used since the that is amount of herbicides and the sticker.
I only put in about 3/4 of an ounce of spreader sticker per gallon, about 5 oz per 7 gal.

Now if you were treating an acre of property using 1 gallon of liquid per thousand square feet, you put in a about 1 oz of sticker per gallon. You would use 42 oz's of spreader sticker verse my 5 oz per acre.
Lesco spreader sticker cost about $50 per gallon.
My way I get 25 acres out of a gallon of spreader sticker and cost me $2 per acre of spreader sticker.

Sledgehammer label way of 1 oz per gal, you only get 3 ace per gal and cost $16.6 per acre

Oh and my way I get no burning of the turf form using a lot less spreader sticker.