1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sedge, what do you run with ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by On a call, Aug 13, 2017.

1. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

After the recent " What is this post " to me it looked like Yellow Nutsedge. It got me to remembering the old days when I ran Basagran, it worked for.

Then I switched over to other products and never went back to Basagran.

Sedge Hammer tends to be slow acting...but it works. I remember Basagran being faster and I could keep a bottle of mix on hand.

So what do you run ?

2. USCavalry69

USCavalry69 LawnSite Member

Dismiss. Quick burn down up top, kills the nutlet underground so it doesn't come back. I try to blanket spray the yards I can, but some will only pay for a treatment of the affected areas. In those cases, the sedge usually pops up where it wasn't sprayed and they end up agreeing to a blanket spray down the road. As for the blanket sprays, it seems to get nearly all of the sedge in one shot. Sometimes I find a straggler or two the next time I get to the property that I hit with a backpack. That will seem to hold the property over for most of the year. I'd really like to try and get on the max per acre per year program that one guy in Hawaii is doing. He seems to have good things to say about that. We have also discovered a "pre emergent" for it in the form of a ridiculously pricey product called Tower. There seems to be some confusion on the labeling by our Chem rep at the moment. But at nearly $730 for a 2.5 gal jug, I don't know about it.

CHARLES CUE and GrassManKzoo like this.
  3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Dismiss all the way
    you can buy the liquid pre with dismiss in it thats how i found out about dismiss

USCavalry69 likes this.
  4. USCavalry69

I think that's Echelon, right? Prodiamine and sulfentrazone?

CHARLES CUE likes this.
  5. CHARLES CUE

thats it

6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've been running prosedge and getting good results.

I'm tempted to run an early blanket app in round 2 pre of dismiss at 4oz per acre. Seems we see it early every year and maybe I can get out front of it and see less down the road.

USCavalry69 likes this.
  7. USCavalry69

I have kicked around this idea as well. Offering it as upsell to higher end customers and those with a history of a sedge problem. Unfortunately, I don't run the program that we use. I only do the apps. And the guy running the program doesn't think it's necessary. He also doesn't do any apps.

8. CHARLES CUE

if i remember right it was not the much more money Prodiamine. If it didnt turn some of the grass yellow i would spray it every couple years

9. JustinFL

JustinFL LawnSite Member

I use Blindside(basically Dismiss). I've used Prosedge/Sedgehammer before and it works, but doesn't kill kyllinga.

10. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

To have decent control of sedge or kyllinga you need to treat twice. First time shortly after it emerges then 6-8 weeks later. The biggest issue with kyllinga is it gets treated too late in the season to gain good control by most companies.