Seed and aeration hole depth

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I am doing a test. "Aeration holes" were made with a one-inch soil probe in a shady bare soil area. Holes were at a depth of 1-inch, 2, and 3 inches deep, (and on top of soil). This is in sandy loam soil in my neighbor's non-irrigated vacant lot. Daily air temperature was about 80. Date was August 20, 2019. A pinch of seed--about 25--was added to each hole. Seeds tested were: Annual rye, bluegrass, fine fescue, perennial rye and tall fescue. Rained twice in the week after.

On August 28 after 7 days, annual rye had sprouted and the tallest seedlings were about 2 inches above the ground. This seed germinated in the 1-inch and 2-inch deep holes.

More information and photos will be posted soon.

Last edited:
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Here is a photo, on day 8. The annual rye is in the lead so far--maximum height about 60 mm, coming from the 2-inch deep hole. The holes are: right to left 1-inch, 2-inch, and 3-inches.
The air temp was about 76 and the soil temp about 67. Rain occurred in the last few days.
There were slight signs of sprouts from the bluegrass, perennial rye and tall fescue.

SA400033.JPG

View attachment 387548

Last edited:
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Another photo. This at about 16 days after sowing seed in coreing holes of 1, 2 and 3 inches deep.
2 inches deep seems to result in the tallest sprouts--especially when seeding annual rye--maximum height about 5 inches.
One inch and two inches were about equal when seeded with tall fescue.

Day temperatures about 75 F. Occasional rain. Not irrigated. No starter fertilizer. Shady spot.

SA400070.JPG

Last edited:
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a new test on bare soil in a shady area.
I seeded tall fescue at 1 teaspoon on one sqft. This is about 10 pounds per thousand.
Then I compared this with 2,3 and 4 teaspoons. Heavy seed rate of course.
Then I added an additional square foot with 2 spoonfuls plus fertilizer, then plus topsoil, then plus peat moss, then, stomped with my feet to simulate rolling.
Results later--but not irrigated--rain has been light.

Last edited: