Seed on herbicide treated soil

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Dec 29, 2019.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I treated soil in pots with three way herbicide at one day intervals.
    I sowed grass seed so that the seed was planted from 1 to 7 days after the herbicide spray. Untreated Control included. Seed was fine fescue and secondly, tall fescue. Seed was sown on top of loose soil with no additional soil on top or other preparation. Planted 12-29-2019. This was indoors at 68 degrees F.
    Results--if any--in about two weeks.

I am not sure if, I can compare mowing heights on new grass. I would have to use scissors. I do not have enough sunlight for good growth, indoors. Working on the idea.

SA400236.JPG

hort101 likes this.
  2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

3. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything will grow except the control :laugh:

That Guy Gary likes this.
  4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

That's what happens when you put it next to the router.

5. OP
    OP
    RigglePLC

A few tiny sprouts appeared on the 8th day. Tallest was fine fescue at about 3/8 inch.

oqueoque likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    RigglePLC

Results show that after you treat for weeds with three-way, the longer you wait to seed the better, up to about 3 days after spraying three-way.
    Fine fescue and tall fescue were used for seed.
    However, at least some of the seed germinated only one day after herbicide treatment.
    Three-way was sprayed: 1,2 and 3 days before seed, which was sown on December 29, (on top of soil--not buried).
    The photograph shows fine fescue, 14 days after sowing the seed. The tallest sprout was 75 mm tall in the Untreated Control container.
    The container on the left is the UTC, the next was seeded 3 days after spraying three-way, next was 2 days after and so forth

The tall fescue seemed to have deeper roots.
    Test was indoors, at about 68 degrees F.

I just bought 5 pounds of "Midnight" Kentucky bluegrass (super-premium). I hope to do some tests as to its germination at various seeding depths and mulch cover. And later some outdoor tests.

IMGP3400.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    oqueoque likes this.
  7. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I’d like to see a month down the line. Could take the herbicide a while to soak into the soil and also reach the new grass since the roots are so tiny

8. GRANTSKI

I took the ct turf & ornamental course last year but decided not to take the test. The whole thing dealing w chemicals and reporting to the state is just not for me. But plant science is really fascinating.

hort101 likes this.
  9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to look into NOFA CT Organic Landcare Program.
    https://nofa.organiclandcare.net/

hort101 likes this.
  10. GRANTSKI

Thing is in ct ya still gotta have license even if you want to use an organic program. Without it you can’t use any type of pesticide whatsoever . To guarantee results you atleast need a transitional program on most lawns. I make good $ off seeding and overseeding jobs which I use basic fert. But many lawns end up w issues no matter how high you cut or how much you over seed.