Seed rate comparison

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Sep 9, 2019.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

One sqft plots of an old lawn were overseeded with 1, 2, 3 and 4 teaspoons of seed. This corresponds to about 10, 20, 30 and 40 pounds per thousand sqft. Seed was sown on August 29, 2019, and the photo was taken on the 11th day, Sept 9. There was no soil preparation. There was no irrigation. Rain was light and irregular. Temperatures mostly between 70 and 80 F as afternoon highs.
    New grass was visible at all the different seeding rates.
    Heavier rates of seed resulted in seed sprouting, with greater density.

TenpoundsRye.jpg

Rick Engasser and ltdlawn like this.
  2. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Gold Member

@RigglePLC im sure you get told but I want to say it.
    YOU ARE APPRECIATED!

3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

My turfgrass instructor said the same thing would happen. Then, wait for it, the seedlings will start dieing off. Too many for too little soil and nutrients. Not as scientific as you but let say I put exactly a sheet load of seed down on my backyard. Watered exactly as much as I could every day I got home. Fertilized with an exact amount measured at whatever I could get my hands on at the time. And it all died. After putting out a good 4" or so of good looking seedlings. It was a southern fescue blend. Yes I now that's like saying hot ice.

In all seriousness I'm very interested in the longer term results of this. Love to see your posts RigglePLC.

4. OP
    OP
    RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot to mention. The seed sown was annual rye grass. This was chosen because it is easier to see, being lighter green and taller. The high rates were chosen to make the results more visible in a photo. The low rate would be more reasonable, in an actual lawn overseed situation.

I have a similar test 6 feet away. I used turf-type tall fescue. In this case it is more difficult, because the tall fescue new grass is more difficult to distinguish from the old-lawn bluegrass. Hopefully this will result in a good photograph in a few days.

Thanks for the nice comments.