Seed recommendations?

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I completely disagree with this approach.

The end goal is a thick healthy lawn, right?

If the grass that is there is now is desirable, and it sounds like it is, why mow it lower and stress it out. Mowing lower is not needed for a successful aeration and seeding. Its like your taking 2 steps back to go 3 forward.

We aerate and seed over 400 home lawns each fall. I say this to show I have vast experience in this, not to brag.

In my opinion the best overall mowing practice is to keep right on mowing high, don't skip a beat. The only time I may skip a mowing is if it gets to wet for a week or so. Maybe cut down on the need to stripe for a few weeks to eliminate some of the 180 degree turns but keep right on mowing every week and never lower the heights.

The way I always look at it my job is to try to grow good roots. If we have good long roots the byproduct is a healthy lawn. The quickest way to shorten the root system is by dropping the mowing heights. Again, the end goal is a thick healthy lawn.

If on the other hand all you are trying to do is target for the aeration and seeding go ahead and scalp away... I would never take that approach.

Hope this gives some food for thought!

The idea behind lowering the height of cut is to allow sunshine in so seeds can germinate. Part of the reason we mow high to begin with is to shade out the soil and prevent weed germination, so in turn this will inhibit new seed germination. Also bear in mind my approach is geared towards giving the new seed the best chance of gaining the majority, although I've never seen mature grass yet that hasn't recovered from the temporary growth stunting from cutting it short.

I agree that a thick healthy lawn is the end goal.

And yes thank you for the food for thought.

Last edited:

Puttinggreens

LawnSite Senior Member
I appreciate it, i was on the fence about dropping it another inch, but I'll probably leave it.

I am able to drive straight "off the part that is going to be overseeded to make my turns.

I normally cut around 4" but now have it down to 2.5" when you say mow high, keep at 4"? Then I can leave it for a week so and stay off it completely. or just keep it around that 2.5?

I normally start bringing it down to 2.5 by later october as we head into late fall for winter, but I do like leaving it longer now because it's usually a little drier until mid september. But that varies by year of course.
My best cool season Lawn’s are mowed high all year. 4” is teriffic! One other thought, I know guys like to drop the height in the fall to help with leaf cleanup but dropping the height often shocks the grass plants and they go dormant earlier. Since fall into early winter is prime root growth time I want to keep the plants actively using photosynthesis and not shut down. I don’t mean active like pumped up on N, just active like not dormant. Some years they stay green into late December/ early Januar, which means photosynthesis is still going on and energy is being stored in the roots.

Just my 2 cents….

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
My best cool season Lawn’s are mowed high all year. 4” is teriffic! One other thought, I know guys like to drop the height in the fall to help with leaf cleanup but dropping the height often shocks the grass plants and they go dormant earlier. Since fall into early winter is prime root growth time I want to keep the plants actively using photosynthesis and not shut down. I don’t mean active like pumped up on N, just active like not dormant. Some years they stay green into late December/ early Januar, which means photosynthesis is still going on and energy is being stored in the roots.

Just my 2 cents….
I do this same thing going into fall. Honestly 4 inches is my short mowing height lol. Most of the time I'm at 4.75.

Seems like the lawns stay green and growing right up until the snow hits. Do you see any downside to them not really yellowing and going dormant before the snow and freeze?

OP
E

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I do it for leaves around the house mostly, but all of our open areas all seem to green up and get going earlier in the spring if I have it shorter heading into winter. I do a fall feeding schedule and by "do" I mean I started last year with spraying urea every 2 weeks for the first time ever from mid september on.

I plan on doing the same this year on the nonover seeded lawn for all of Sept and Oct.

Puttinggreens

LawnSite Senior Member
I do this same thing going into fall. Honestly 4 inches is my short mowing height lol. Most of the time I'm at 4.75.

Seems like the lawns stay green and growing right up until the snow hits. Do you see any downside to them not really yellowing and going dormant before the snow and freeze?
Maybe a little bit of disease. But it’s usually on the outer leaves that are going to drop off anyway. Think there is more to be gained than lost.

OP
E

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
well this went swimmingly. 100lbs of seed put down Tuesday night, rolled it in best I could in the dark. blanket spray of tenacity down last night. and sometime after midnight we got hammered with rain. I have 8-10 inches of water in parts of my backyard. Most of it is not underwater, but I have to imagine a lot of that seed was moved by water getting to the lower spots.

I normally get that in early spring or late fall, wasn't expecting it now.

Nothing left to do but see what happens I guess.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Lol I had a similar experience here. Broadcast 75lbs of seed, raked it in, then got hit with torrential downpours. We got three inches in an hour. I suspect I will have really nice grass in all the low spots of the yard.

Top Forums