Lawn Care Forum banner

Seeding a berm thats a 3 to 1 slope

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  johnwright238 
#1 ·
Hello, I got a bid/contract I am working on planting 130 acres of natural grass seed with a seeder, I plan on using a 45 horse compact utility tractor, with a 8 or 9 foot 3pt seeder. I am going to install wheel weights and put fluid in tires for added traction. It will all mostly be at a 3 to 1 slope or less, on back side of a earth dike that is being used to hold back water, after that I am installed straw errison blanket on top of it.

Any advice would be helpful. anybody planted at this slope? I wanted to hydroseed it all but it would cost them to much they said.

Thanks!
:usflag:

#5 ·
Any one else think that 100 acres of erosion blanket would be much more expensive than hydro seeding?
Maybe, but you'll get better erosion control with the blanket over hydro seeding.

I wouldn't take any chances on a hydro seeding in this situation, especially because it's a levy.

#6 ·
for 2 acres i could see this helping, but 100 acres?? control the situation with basic erosion control techniques and do a regular maintenance contract to fix the run off.

#8 ·
A job that size you should be able to find someone to hydroseed it for around 4 to 4.5 cents per foot which is going to be way cheaper than any other way and with a good tackifer it should hold fine even being a levy. I hydroseed banks a lot steeper than that without a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.