1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Seeding Bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Atlantic Lawn, May 27, 2001.

1. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I have a client who wants to fill in his existing bermuda yard with seed. Mainly sand on the property about one mile from the beach.There are a few 10X10 areas that need seed. He wants to seed the entire yard. The coverage he has now is sparse in a lot of areas. When I seed new lawns I rake, seed. and cover with hay, water everydayand keep seeds moist till they sprout. Then I cut after a few weeks. I can't do this with his yard. If I let it grow for a few weeks all the existing bermuda will get too tall and will brown out when I cut . Enough water for the seed will be too much for the current lawn, any sugestions ?

2. Virginia Green

Virginia Green LawnSite Member

In my golf course days in order to thicken up our brumuda fairways we sliced it. I would also sprig the the areas that are bare you will have coverage in about 9 t 12 weeks .

Frank

3. Virginia Green

Virginia Green LawnSite Member

oops excuse my spelling its early Bermuda
    God LOL

Frank

4. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I would try to avoid seeding bermuda. Is the bare area in the shade? You need lots of sun for bermuda. Is the lawn a hybrid bermuda or common bermuda? If a hybrid bermuda, the seeded area(if germinated) would look different than the rest of the lawn. If hybrid, I would buy some squares of sod to fill in. It doesn't sound like you will need too much, and may be pretty close in price.