1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Seeding in Florida

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by 0money, May 1, 2005.

1. 0money

0money LawnSite Member
    from Around

I am wondering what would be the best seed to seed my yard ,My yard is like sugar sand and very little shade and I have allot of problems with erosion because i live on a hill .Can anybody help?

2. 0money

0money LawnSite Member
    from Around

Must be to hard of a question.

3. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of grass are you trying to grow? I wouldn't seed it. You should try putting bahia down. It seems to grow well in sandy areas.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I used 20 trays of plugs on my front lawn and a lot of water, If the sand has surface tension and isnt letting water in try the wetting agent lesco sells it solved my problem

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

With the real soft sand you'll have difficulty getting anything to take and survive without amending the sand with some Organic matter but I would suggest something that is invasive and self sustaining. A wild bermuda, or zoysia or St augustine. i think would do better at stabilizing the ground. all three are fast growing and spread rapidly. Bahia won't spread as fast, but is cheaper when purchasing as sod.

I had a small landscape company in Orlando and worked on the Hort Depart. for Disney....so I have some southern knowledge...