1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking Business Advice...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jordan Herrmann, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Jordan Herrmann

Jordan Herrmann LawnSite Member

Hey guys. While I have browsed for the past year this is my first time posting on Lawnsite. I'm looking for some advice from you guys who are ahead of companies like mine as far as numbers go. This is my second year in business and I seem to have run into a bit of a problem. The best way to say it is I have outpaced my client body with the setup of my company. To summarize, we're licensed and insured, our brand name is setup, we run a 16ft trailer with echo equipment 2 commercial zero turns a 60 and a 54 and one residential 34in zero turn, every piece of equipment possible to operate as smoothly as possible, reliable truck, completely debt free, and we do very high quality work having never missed a single cut or lost a single customer to quality. So why do I mention all of this? Well, the problem is were operating with about 9 total clients.... thats right 9. Now your probably thinking, "someone could do 9 with a push mower", and your right. We've been successful setting up the foundation to handle clients but very unsuccessful in growing our client base. We utilize yard signs, cards in mail boxes, online facebook ads, and word of mouth. My question I guess is can anyone recommend any advertising strategies that might help out a business our size? Also if any of you guys who have been in the business for a while have any advice for us at this stage it would be much appreciated. I'm in the position where I can run my company full time 4 days a week. Hopefully this isn't too broad of a question. Thanks for reading.

2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member

You have better/more equipment then I do and I have 4 employees and 29 years experience.:dizzy:

Do you have a good website? Are you a member of the Chamber of Commerce?

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Jordan Herrmann

We don't have a website, we have kinda been using our facebook page as a website as it seems to get alot of traffic. I'm not a member of chamber of commerce and thats something I haven't really heard about before. I'm realizing all of the best equipment in the world doesn't matter when you only have 9 properties to use it on haha. It's just my wife and I and the goal is to do this full time as a career.

4. JFGLN

Have you networked with other companies? I turn down estimate request almost weekly. I would love to have somebody to refer these leads to.

5. JFGLN

What? No website???:eek: You got some homework to do. Get on the digital marketing forum and start reading.

6. OP
    OP
    Jordan Herrmann

I have tried to reach out to fertilization companies but so far have none that would refer customers.. There is one company owned by my FIL that I worked for to get me ready to start my own but he only does about 80 per week so he is still taking his own estimates. I should try to reach out to more large lawncare companies. I guess Ive been so desprate for estimates that I never considered that companies actually turn estimates down lol

7. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Senior Member

IMO the hardest part of growing your business, in line with good employees, is getting, retaining, and getting paid by customers!

have you tried or thought of eddm to get your name out? The digital recommendation posted previously is also another avenue to pursue! Word of mouth is huge, as is your own “selling”! You should carry around business cards and not be afraid to engage people about your business

mom not a fan of yard signs, I consider them “litter on a stick”and I’m not sure people have the time when their driving by to remember the number! You may have better results, was a short lived approach fir me years ago! A Craigslist as may gain a few customers , but seems to be populated with tire kickers or guys advertising”any lawn $20”!

8. OP
    OP
    Jordan Herrmann

The two things in my area that have given me most success personally are the yard signs and facebook advertising. What is EDDM? Also one thing that has been great for us is responding quickly. I know my sample size is small but when we respond fast and get to the property same day to shake hands and give an estimate we get the account almost every single time.

9. JFGLN

EDDM(directmail) without a website would be a mistake.

Get a website!!!! Do it quick as spring is almost here.

10. Bfish

Bfish LawnSite Member

Ask your existing customers if they know anybody that is looking, as you plan to add a "few" yards this year... It is the best way to pickup neighbors.

Any signage on your trailer/truck? Let's people know who you are and how to contact you.

Make friends with property managers and real estate agents. Rental properties suck, but they are available and often have several closely grouped together. RE agents might just have some short term stuff (ie moved out of town but house hasn't sold yet), but can lead to recommendations when the new people buy. Also with RE agents you can tell them which areas/neighborhoods that you want to concentrate your efforts.

Any time I talk to a friendly neighbor while working, I will hand them a business card or two. Rarely does it lead to work at their house, however they have passed my info on to others who are looking.

hort101 and JFGLN like this.