Seems I lost my largest account...

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
I will keep it professional as I don't like burning bridges. There has been some good feedback here. I appreciate it. I have a different personality, I realize that. I don't feel it was my contact that was the problem here. I know who it was. Just don't know how she did it exactly, as she really has no authority in the company. My contact was going to try to find out. We shall see. The fact that she won't e-mail me about it at all tells me she knows she is wrong.

It's just business, but there is a personal aspect to it all as well. It was out of my contact's hands. But he is supposed to have a say in it. He is the reason I stayed as long as I did. That and I did good work and didn't make excuses like so many will do. But we live and we learn. It may be a year or years before I see the positive here, but I am praying that their was a good reason and that some better opportunity will come along. I do need to beat the bushes on some other larger places. My only problem with blindly submitting bids with no contact to help is I feel I waste a lot of time. Every bid is so time consuming by the time you meet with them, then type up a bid and word it just right etc...It's not a quick thing. But I guess I will have a free day every week now for some reason haha

I do agree also that industrial is not all negative. For the most part they leave you alone as long as you do your job. They are not as picky as home owners for the most part either. But, the right person gets a position in the company and they have a friend in the business, guess who gets their throat cut? I get it. I just don't stand for underhanded activity. But if they can sleep at night, so can I...I can reclaim my weekend now, but will be one broke mother for awhile lol

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
As long as you get paid for the work done/ completed Thumbs Up .
Losing a job/contract it seems to be part of the game time to time.
Trust me its a hell of weird season for me too.
Yep, I understand. It's just the games people play that get me instead of being straight up. I am a no BS kind of guy. lol...This year is weird for everyone. I was thinking earlier, if I decide to get out of this business for good what in the heck would I do? I mean it's beyond strange and businesses are closing. The only places doing well as a whole are large retailers. I don't plan on working for them. lol

windflower

LawnSite Bronze Member
It's hard not to take it personally when it happens like that. I've lost 4 large multi location contracts that were a sizable chunk of my income at various times. All 4 were due to a change in management. One notified me on the last day of the month that effective on the 1st the contract was terminated. One didn't notify me at all or pay the last month's bill. I show up and the place had been done that morning.
I figure unless there was a history of complaints it isn't my work, just business decisions. Currently I'm in the same boat again. One customer is a large portion of my work. Feel fairly safe with this one though. Family owned and I've been working for them for over 30 years now.
Take the money when you get these larger jobs and sock some away for when you lose them.

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
Did you have any kind of long term contract? What does it say about breaking it during the year?
No we did a yearly contract, but really it wasn't a signed contract, just a yearly Purchase order. Once my last yearly one was up in May, I was contacted and told due to covid they were only issuing Purchase orders on a month to month basis at this time, due to limited staff etc...That made no sense to me, as if they can take the time to issue one for the month, they can do one for the year. They were also late paying a couple of invoces around that time due to covid also they said. I don't think I would be allowed to make many excuses due to covid though lol..So, I could not even show up each month during June and July until a PO was issued for the month. That ended up being the middle of the month. It was all a crazy process.

You think they would at least owe me the decency of officially telling me I was replaced. lol. Sounds like a sign of guilt to me. But it is all water under the bridge now I suppose.

Top Forums