Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On break at college today saw something funny. was eating lunch near my truck and trailer ( toyota 4x4, 12' gate trailer, 52" bunton hydro.)

Guy with a new ford power stroke and a 16' tandem with a 48" gear drive (seen this guy around campus for awhile,) Stops beside my truck looking. he starts talking to his buddy and they start laffing?

I guess my little rig looked like a joke to them. But I can not figure out why you would need a powerstroke and tandem trailer to haul a walkbehind ( the only machine I have seen him with for about 4-5 weeks.)

Oh yea it had ramps in the back of his truck, no gate on trailer.

Just thought it was funny.

· Registered
3,507 Posts
Ya, I've made the big payments (stll am) and I don't laugh at those making the smaller ones.........I just think they're smarter than me.

· Registered
14,876 Posts
He's the big, bad guy with the walk behind, - don't you know? And don't think for a minute that he's paying for that truck with that walk-behind, because he's NOT. Also, what does he have a helper for, to do his trimming and then stand there and watch him mow for 20 minutes? If you ever see this guy, you can tell tell him I said so.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It makes no difference to me if someone makes fun of me. I make enough to pay my bills and tuition.

I just thought it was funny, driving that big rig to pull a mower smaller and liter than mine. Plus I bet I can be backed out or turned around and on my way before he can get his rig started.

· Registered
999 Posts
i get all kinds of dirty looks with my overloaded snowmobile trailer and 91 Grand Marquis!

I smile because I know someday my rig(s) will be just as nice, if not nicer, and PAID FOR WITH CASH.

:))

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Hey, don't worry about it. I started my business this year as cheep as possible. I bought a '81 Chevy C10 longbed for $900, 6'X10'single axel trailer $900 (just upgraded to a 6'6"x16'6" $1300), older Bunton 48" w/b $1200(gear driven), my old 21" Yard Man-already owned, Home Lite trimmer and b/p blower-already owned (now use Cub Cadet trimmer $300, and Stihl blower $400), Stihl hedge trimmers-already owned, bought Husky 55 Rancher chainsaw $225. Everything is paid for and runs perfect. It may not be the best looking set-up on the road, but I'm also not up to my eyebrows in debt. Sure is nice not having any payments to worry about going into the winter (dead) season.

· Registered
3,935 Posts
I get guys from the 'big three' companies in town giving me dirty looks and laughs all the time. The funny part is, they are making $8 working for someone else, I'm keeping all the money the customer pays me. AND, I get all the customers they piss off and do crappy jobs for. Let 'em laugh. Then they can go home and laugh it up in their mom's basement while I go home to my own house I have earned by being brave enough to do it myself.

And that goes for the butt holes on other crews that don't wave back when I wave to them. Dicks.

:D

· Banned
9,013 Posts
you should have started to laugh at him...he would have stopped laughing and then the rest of the day he would have wondered to himself, "what the heck was he laughing at."

That is the way to get underneath someones skin, to make them wonder about the unknown.

· Registered
1 Posts
I am a small operation. One helper, 21" commercial Honda mower, trimmer, blower, etc.... I drive a 1999 2500 v10 dodge all detailed out for the company (vinyl logos, lettering, lumber rack, etc ...). I have one single axle trailer that is mostly used for the landscaping side of the company. So I put my maintenance equipment in the back of the truck. And with the way the gas prices have been lately, this has improved my mileage and my pocket book. If someone was to laugh at that, well … there ignorant (to presume you know the other persons situation). Though around here it would be very strange if someone did laugh at you for what you were working with. I have seen some very poor setups, cars with the mower in the trunks and etc... I suppose we all have to start somewhere, some of us are fortunate enough to have the means to start out with a truck, trailer, etc …. Some are not as fortunate, but I bet those that are not are busting there butt to get those things, so when I see them I look at them as competition, not low life’s or even humors.

· Registered
13,950 Posts
Originally posted by HOMER
Ya, I've made the big payments (stll am) and I don't laugh at those making the smaller ones.........I just think they're smarter than me.

Here Here

I sold out this past summer, I will have a 48" in the back of a pick up and i'm looking very forward to it.
John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.