Self Employed- How much are youpaying for Health Insurance??

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
free health care....just raise taxes on beer and cigarettes. i don't smoke and i don't drink so it's a win, win for me. \o/ :laugh:
They tried doing this in AZ to pay for some programs.

Then people started quitting smoking because of the abusive taxation and they had to dip into the general fund again.

BigJlittleC

LawnSite Fanatic
They tried doing this in AZ to pay for some programs.

Then people started quitting smoking because of the abusive taxation and they had to dip into the general fund again.
No one buys cigs in Chicago. Every smoker I know makes a trip to Indiana for them. When they tried to tax soda everyone stopped buying them. Same thing with plastic bags. Only people you see getting bags is usually the ebt shoppers as they get bags for free.

zraffz

LawnSite Senior Member
My health insurance, dental and prescription (and annual eye exams) is between $34,000-$36,000 for my family. I have never received a bill other than a $10 co-pay and about 2% of the cost of prescriptions.
My wife had a scheduled c-section with our son. The hospital provided an out of network pediatrician. I got a $3,000 bill and my insurance cut me a check in full.

Yet I still never go to the doctor when i am sick :hammerhead:

Oxmow

LawnSite Bronze Member
well the thing is i never even go to the doctor or anything so i don't see a reason to spend all my money for health insurance. when they get rid of obamacare i'll probably just get a catastrophic plan. i never go to the doctor. i only need it for major problems or accidents.
That was always my belief too...till I found out I had stage 4 colon cancer. Thank God I served my country, because I'd most likely be dead right now without the VA. Every year the insurance sales guy that sold "cancer" policies came around the fire station. I always thought "I don't need that, nobody in my family has had cancer!" Shoulda looked twice...

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
My health insurance, dental and prescription (and annual eye exams) is between $34,000-$36,000 for my family. I have never received a bill other than a $10 co-pay and about 2% of the cost of prescriptions.
My wife had a scheduled c-section with our son. The hospital provided an out of network pediatrician. I got a $3,000 bill and my insurance cut me a check in full.

holy crap man....that's an average yearly salary down here where i live. :laugh:

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
That was always my belief too...till I found out I had stage 4 colon cancer. Thank God I served my country, because I'd most likely be dead right now without the VA. Every year the insurance sales guy that sold "cancer" policies came around the fire station. I always thought "I don't need that, nobody in my family has had cancer!" Shoulda looked twice...
catastrophic plan would cover that. heart attack, cancer, car wreck, etc. etc.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
catastrophic plan would cover that. heart attack, cancer, car wreck, etc. etc.
The deductibles for catastrophic plans are really high, generally around $10,000. Not a good plan for things like cancer, most people won't be able to afford the treatments they need out of pocket before that insurance kicks in.

hey maybe that's a good idea then. that's one way get people to stop smoking.
I think it's a bad idea in principle. If they are serious about forcing people to quit smoking just ban the sale of tobacco. We shouldn't feel entitled to place undue burdens on a group of people just because we dislike their behavior when it's completely legal.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic

What insurance do you have?
What do you pay for it?
or do you mean you pay out of pocket 34k a year for your insurance premium??