1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Self replicating

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Thegrassisgrn'r, May 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Thegrassisgrn'r

Thegrassisgrn'r LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Is there a difference between high end vs low end seeds in potential for the grass to self replicating and sustain itself longer without over seeding every season. (IE i have been dumping superior brand seed from fleet farm vs scotts etc etc)

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Do not expect any grass type to reseed itself (except weeds).
    Most grass types can form "tillers", secondary stems which arise from the crown.
    Bluegrass and a few red fescues can spread by means of rhizomes.
    Some new "Lateral spread" types of tall fescue can spread using rhizomes.
    Most ryegrasses do not spread (much), but some new types produce lots of tillers.
    With all grass cultivars, you want modern varieties--not something from the 1970s.

Most warm season grasses can spread with rhizomes and above ground stolons.
    Read the label carefully to reveal what the producer claims. It is OK to be skeptical. Write down and look up the varieties listed on the package. Read the seed company information and the NTEP scores for the variety. Try to understand if the tall fescue variety has "Lateral Spread" genes. Disease resistance is also important.
    Try to avoid varieties in the lower 50 percent in the NTEP tests.
    Scotts is usually above average at retail.
    Golf courses, football fields, and sod farms buy the high-end premium varieties. They buy direct, in quantity and pay a little more.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    hort101 and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  3. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

The op is in Mn, so I'm assuming he has some sort of kbg mix in his lawn. What mix or cultivar of kbg would you go with?

4. Crazy 4 grass

Welcome to lawnsite!!

hort101 likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

Difficult to pick a favorite. Arcadia Kentucky bluegrass is excellent--but the entire crop for this year has been sold out--sod farms bought it all--wholesale. I like "Midnight", and "Bluenote" also.
    This might meet your needs in Minnesota:
    https://www.reinders.com/products/11-1400/

However, they list "Kenblue" as one of the ingredients--an old-fashioned disease-prone variety.
    They also list "creeping red fescue" without a name. This might actually be "Boreal". Was good stuff in 1955. Both are probably susceptible to dollarspot fungus.

6. Crazy 4 grass

https://www.reinders.com/products/10-1400/

Can you compare the one you just posted and this one? Speak to the differences? What do you think of this one?

I'm asking because I've used it recently but have yet to see the results. Currently waiting for germination.

7. RigglePLC

I am impressed with the Premium 60 you mentioned above. It has "Granite" one of the top "Midnight" imitators--maybe better than Midnight.
    Fiesta 4 in the mix is also good.
    Mercury is a new fast-germination bluegrass. Dark green.

Longfellow 3 adds some excellent shade tolerance and density to the mix.

8. OP
    OP
    Thegrassisgrn'r

from Mn

One of the bags i got said kentucky blue grass on it but at the price i am wondering if it is not the kind you are talking about. It appears i got a lot of knowledge to get caught up on. I am worried looking at the link that my cheap superior seed may not get me what i am looking for...

9. OP
    OP
    Thegrassisgrn'r

from Mn

Btw Thanks for all the feedback!!!

10. Crazy 4 grass

Thanks for the input. It sounds like Im trying a pretty good mix. Ill post back with the results.