selling a gardening business?

joanielovesflowers

LawnSite Member
I've been passionate about annual and perennial flower gardens and have built a great little business making the historic center of my southwest town very colorful. Now, after over 30 years of running this very profitable business I want to retire, yet my clientele need someone else to take over . Its truly a gardening business rather than landscape, though lawn and irrigation care are a big part, and we do small landscape projects and rock work.

I'm looking for ideas on how to find the right buyer. Are there other forums more appropriate for selling a gardening focused business? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Joanie

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
I suppose that AZ has a nursery association?, if so have an appraisal done of the business and take out an ad with either printed media or if they have a web-site and list your business for sale.
easy-lift guy

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
have you ever thought of hiring a robin, batman?

Train your replacement, then let him take over slowly and buy yourself out over the next 5 years.

OP
J

joanielovesflowers

LawnSite Member
I've had great workers but no one with real management skills so far. I would consider a Batman, with the ability to buy me out soon because I really want out within the next year. I've been listed with a Broker for over a year with only 1 nibble. Where are all the wanna be entrepreneurs in this field? 8 month season, perfect mountain climate, profits to last you through the 4 winter months on the ski slopes or far away tropical islands... good honest work that earns tons of appreciation and recognition from the locals and passer-byes.

snomaha

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've had great workers but no one with real management skills so far. I would consider a Batman, with the ability to buy me out soon because I really want out within the next year. I've been listed with a Broker for over a year with only 1 nibble. Where are all the wanna be entrepreneurs in this field? 8 month season, perfect mountain climate, profits to last you through the 4 winter months on the ski slopes or far away tropical islands... good honest work that earns tons of appreciation and recognition from the locals and passer-byes.

Do you have a accounting or attorney firm you work with? They seem to be the most connected in terms of potential buyers.

You also might try putting out the word to the vendors you do work with...

OP
J

joanielovesflowers

LawnSite Member
Yes I will start putting the word out. For the first year of being on the market I did not want to alert any competitors nor customers nor employees of my desire to sell. Now I am changing my mind, and speaking more freely of my intentions.

OP
J

joanielovesflowers

LawnSite Member
and yes I have spoken with my accountant, and thank you, I will actually ask him to keep his ears perked for an interested person. Luckily I've never needed an attorney, but work for some, so may speak to them too.

Top Forums