1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Selling Acct's.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brian McS, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Brian McS

Brian McS LawnSite Member

I would like to get some idea's on what a lawn maintenance account could be sold for. I'm moving out of an area, and have been approached on the accounts. I'm thinking about a percentage but not sure about what percent.

2. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

If I recall correctly, the general consensus here is total of one month's income. I really don't agree with that of you are selling 30+ accounts. Your time spent gathering that many accounts has to be worth much more. In this case, I would say at least 6 month's A/R would be fair.If you are only selling a handful, that the 30 day A/R rule is probably correct.

3. Duramaxdiesel

Duramaxdiesel LawnSite Member

I agree 6 months is the norm around here.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh: around here most guys get paid for 2 cuttings per account.

So according to you if somebody wanted to buy a small business that has 60 customers and each one averaged $30 per cut then the buyer would have to pay $30X60 = $1800 and $1800X4 weeks = $7,200 and $7,200X6 months = $43,200 which according to you is the going rate in your area. YEAHHHHHH RIGHTTTTTT :hammerhead:

5. Duramaxdiesel

Duramaxdiesel LawnSite Member

My last run that I sold had 100 accounts @ $60 per month. It brought me in $6000 a month and took a day and a half to cut and whip. I sold the accounts for $36000 in less than a week.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahhh I see your in canada. I bet the lawn business up there isnt as over crowded as it is here. Never a day goes by when I see any less than 30 different lawn companys operating in neighborhoods. Around here lawns come cheap.

7. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Do some searches on the net you will see that many established lawn businesses with basic equipment for one operator go for anywere from 30K-70K with around 60 accounts depending on the area you are looking in.

8. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

I don't think you could possibly make that kind of statement. Montreal is a large city with many many companies working in it. Toronto is even bigger and I can tell you very clearly that there is alot of competition in Toronto.

I think that is great that you got $36000 for just your accounts, but I cannot understand why someone would really want to pay that much for something that with a bit of hard work, and some luck you could get.

You must have a very tight route as well as very small lawns. In Toronto most lawns are $25 and up a cut.