Selling material to non liscened LCO

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by philk17088, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. philk17088

    philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 17,386

    I have a idea for people here to chew on. Should pesticide distributors be required to get liscense numbers from LCOs before they sell them stuff?

    In PA it is the law that anybody applying pesticides for money must have a lisense and insurance. I see a lot of scrubs going around with crab/fert material on their trucks and no pesticide BU number. Why are the distributors selling to them? If they would refuse to sell them product, the unliscensed applicator problem would go away.

    Any thoughts?:confused:
  2. bobbygedd

    bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ
    Messages: 10,178

    if you were allowed by law, to sell your product to anybody who wants it, would you sell it? i would. just think of the posibilities though, if they passed a law saying u needed a license just to buy it. black market products, i'd be buying pallets of dimension for $17 a bag, and selling them to the illegals for $40 a bag.
  3. John Gamba

    John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct
    Messages: 10,812

    If your talking about lesco, They sell it at Home Depo.
  4. specialtylc

    specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,656

    There are many products that require a license to buy from your dealer(Atrazine). But there are just as many that dont (24D).
  5. philk17088

    philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 17,386

    I quess I mean that our state goes after the applicator for proper liscensing, record keeping, etc. Where they could really solve the problem of unliscensed applicators by requiring liscense from any commercial entity that is buying control products. It makes me mad that when I go for a load of dimension/fert that there are landscape scrubs in there buying the same material and applying without a liscense. They for the most part under charging for the same services that I do because they aren't paying for the insurance, the pesticide credit training, the liscense renewal. Now there are some restricted use pesticides that can only be bought with a liscense. I think anything with any pesticide in it should not be sold commercially to unliscensed scrubs. These would apply to lesco, home depot, local dealers, whoever.
  6. TSM

    TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA
    Messages: 707

    here in MA you must provide your license to purchase restricted use products.

    though I understand (and agree with) your frustration i dont see selling products being regulated any time soon, or at all.

    Statisticly the un-licensed person (homeowner) buys more product than us who are licensed and trained at appling these products.
  7. 2 man crew

    2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 403

    Not only do the unlicensed guys charge less but then they save all the time of no product tracking. The application tracking and Dept. of Ag requirements are also a major labor expense these guys are avoiding. I see a lot of mowing and landscape guys in the paper advertising in their line ads "fertilizing and weed control programs" I would bet most are not licensed. We need to start voicing the problems to our states license dept.

    I would like to see more restrictions:

    1. If you advertise for chemical applications in any form you must have your license # printed on the ad.

    2. If you are doing chemical applications in any form you must have your vehicle lettered with you license #

    3. Any dealer that sells or stocks any restricted use pesticides must document a license # for any pesticide sold at their location.

    Thats just me but I'm sure some of the liberals will set me straight.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

    LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,373

    2 man -

    where in MN are you?

    The only problem with your #1....
    is I sub out some of the work from other LCO's in the area that advertise for it. I suppose they could use my number in an ad with permission, or who at the newspaper is going to check to see if the number is correct? By the time the ad appears with a false license, and the LCO running the ad says, "no, I said xxxx, not the number that was printed" who's going to be at fault?

    I suppose you could put your number on a truck, but no one but the Dept. of Ag in MN is going to check anyways, most likely. I know if I saw an Ag # on the side of the truck, unless it was my own number, I wouldn't be writing it down to check on the internet when I got home.
  9. grassredneck

    grassredneck LawnSite Member
    Messages: 150

    I think the Government is too involved in business as it is. In Ga-you can go to a website and enter the name of a l'scape co, individual, or a zip code and get the name of the appropiate person or company. That site also provides a person's name and number to complain to if you've a complaint regarding inappropiate use of a chemical. I'd hate to think that I'm ever thought of as liberal btw. They have in fact, started enforcing the laws and asking people for their licenses.
  10. rob1325

    rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 697

    They can sell anything that isn't restricted use in CT. For that you need supervisory license.

Share This Page