Service ad ons

Kawizx62003

LawnSite Silver Member
Good morning everyone. I am primarily mow, blow, and go at this point. I see too much revenue potential to NOT add on some additional services BUT I am trying not to become "full service", of course I am sure "full service" means different things to different people. I see the term meaning including:
1. Mowing
2. Shrub trimming
4. Mulch
5. Chemical Treatments
6. New Bed/Plant Installation
7. Sod
8. Turf Renovations

Basically, one stop shop.

I am starting to upsell mulch and shrub trimming, which has been going well. On a side note, I underpriced my first mulch job…I then found out my supplier has an $8 per yard discount to LICENSED businesses. So I stopped in and filled out the appropriate paperwork. After redoing my math, I am actually going to make decent money! A plus of having a legit business.

So to the point of the thread…

I want to add on weekly (I only do weekly mowing) bed weed control. I think it is important. I hate mowing lawns nicely and not seeing a bed kept in nice shape. BUT, I also won't include it in my mowing price. So, here are my options:

1. Add an option to have me string trim to ground level any weeds in the beds and add a few dollars.
2. Add an option to spray the weeds each week and add a few more than a few dollars.
3. Hand weed… or a combo of this and #1.

With #1, its immediate results but I feel its low quality. But if it is each week, it shouldn't be too much mess (minus the first visit).

With #2, its NOT immediate AND its another piece of equipment to buy/on truck. (I do own a BP sprayer for my current and only trick) Things will brown as they die and mix in with the mulch. BUT, then I need an applicators license. While that is NOT a problem now, when I add crews I have to now worry about a crew leader to be licensed. Also have to add on any other chemical headaches such as storage, cost, safety, etc. Also, I am not sure where the future lies in the chemical application by pro's. I also do not know if I really want to contribute to the earth this way on a daily basis. I use it and other herbicides in my own yard so I am not anti-chemical.

With #3, well its just another option. More time consuming and will cost more and I don't think my target market cares to pay for that.

The point of this is to ADD VALUE to my services and increase profits. So looking for positive feedback and price ideas. Thanks everyone.

PenningsLandscaping

LawnSite Bronze Member
High concentration vinegar will kill weeds, it can temporarily reduce soil ph but it's pretty harmless all in all. Good option for spraying.

Some may want spray, some may want hand weeding. I wouldn't offer weed eating them.
Posted via Mobile Device

WenzelOSLLC

LawnSite Senior Member
An applicator license is fairly inexpensive, doesn't usually take much to get, is another step in making you a 'Professional', and can get you a fair amount of work. A backpack sprayer and a small nursery tank in the truck can go a long way for little investment if you're just spot treating beds.

I'd say offer hand weeding for the really bad beds followed by a pre-em. Then a small fee to pick any weeds above say an inch.

Also combine that with mulch installs and then there won't be as many weeds to deal with. It's a 2-4-1 deal then.

If you have a multiman crew at each site then it's should be fairly cost effective to add weeding or shrub trimming. Once the trimming is done that guy can weed or prune while the mower finishes up (or vice versa).

MasScape

LawnSite Senior Member
In the state of Virginia.... There is fert license, pesticide license (levels are tech then commercial applicator), pesticide business license. Many think you can go get a tech license then spray on your own.... This is far from the truth and illegal. A tech can only spray when working for a commercial applicator which also is part of a business with a pesticide business license. A business can't have a pesticide business license without employing or the owner having a commercial license. To get a commercial license you have to have 1 -2 of experience with a tech license OR a college education such as a horticulture degree.

I wrote this on my phone so I can later on clarify something if anyone is interested. Spraying in Virginia unlicensed or not properly fully licensed is stupid. The fines can drive even an established business in yo the ground. Virginia takes its spray very seriously and probably more than most States.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums