Lawn Care Forum banner

Service magic

4K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  David Gretzmier 
#1 ·
Anyone tried this? Sounds like a good deal, and actually pretty reasonable.

Thoughts and opinions... go!

#2 ·
As a "Petstop" dealer they have been calling me all the time to try it out. It isn't expensive but I don't believe people in my area look for a contractor their way. I just don't think it is worth my time and effort to be part of "Service Magic." It looks like there is little risk. If you have a good feeling about it - it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.
~Ned

#5 ·
Hmm mixed feelin. CAlandscape: lighting job or landscape? Im only offering lighting through this, so im hoping for my fellow lighters to chime in.

I just found an insanely cheap direct mail place im trying, but want to do as much as possible. It only costs $12 per lead for lighting, which isnt to bad. It can add up fast with all the tire kickers tho...

Well any lighters?

#6 ·
Anyone tried this? Sounds like a good deal, and actually pretty reasonable.

Thoughts and opinions... go!
RUN AWAY...

I will share my experience with you. I received a lead first thing in the morning(around 730am) but I was already concentrating on a proposal I was giving across town(from a real lead that did not come from them). My appointment lasted til around 10 am and immediately after I called the lead. The lady answered the phone and I told her who I was and why I was calling. She said I cancelled that with SM and I am not interested. I immediately emailed SM about this and requested a credit for a bum lead. I did not hear any thing for a month so I had a chat with a customer service rep. To summarize a lengthy, time consuming, waste of time, her response was I should expect to receive these kind of leads(its built into the cost) and should keep calling the lady to see if she changed her mind. I told her fine just cancel my account. About a week later I received a call from an SM rep who ask why I was cancelling the service so I went through it again. She agreed I never should have been billed for that lead and said have the next 2 leads on us. I did receive one free lead (who never has answered my phone calls or emails). I had another lead come in shorlty after and these people lived in a wealthy community..Great. I met with them and gave them a price. Followed up a few days later and the lady said if I could do it for $XXX then we have a deal. The only problem with $XXX is it does not cover my costs. No way Im working for free. Then I find out I was billed for the lead. I phoned the rep I had talked to about the 2 free leads and she told me that was a different kind of lead and could not be free. By the way it was not the price that they tell you the leads will be. If you decide you are going to try it do not pay the set up fee. In short the leads I received all seemed (the ones I actually talked to) to be "PENNY PINCHERS" and not to be qualified leads for a company offering highend lighting...

A friend of my who is a General Contractor had the same experience.
For example... They charged him $75 for a lead that literally wanted a ramp that could be made out of a couple of pieces of scrap lumber...

Another guy who cuts grass loves them.

#7 ·
RUN AWAY...

I will share my experience with you. I received a lead first thing in the morning(around 730am) but I was already concentrating on a proposal I was giving across town(from a real lead that did not come from them). My appointment lasted til around 10 am and immediately after I called the lead. The lady answered the phone and I told her who I was and why I was calling. She said I cancelled that with SM and I am not interested. I immediately emailed SM about this and requested a credit for a bum lead. I did not hear any thing for a month so I had a chat with a customer service rep. To summarize a lengthy, time consuming, waste of time, her response was I should expect to receive these kind of leads(its built into the cost) and should keep calling the lady to see if she changed her mind. I told her fine just cancel my account. About a week later I received a call from an SM rep who ask why I was cancelling the service so I went through it again. She agreed I never should have been billed for that lead and said have the next 2 leads on us. I did receive one free lead (who never has answered my phone calls or emails). I had another lead come in shorlty after and these people lived in a wealthy community..Great. I met with them and gave them a price. Followed up a few days later and the lady said if I could do it for $XXX then we have a deal. The only problem with $XXX is it does not cover my costs. No way Im working for free. Then I find out I was billed for the lead. I phoned the rep I had talked to about the 2 free leads and she told me that was a different kind of lead and could not be free. By the way it was not the price that they tell you the leads will be. If you decide you are going to try it do not pay the set up fee. In short the leads I received all seemed (the ones I actually talked to) to be "PENNY PINCHERS" and not to be qualified leads for a company offering highend lighting...

A friend of my who is a General Contractor had the same experience.
For example... They charged him $75 for a lead that literally wanted a ramp that could be made out of a couple of pieces of scrap lumber...

Another guy who cuts grass loves them.
Very nice, thanks for the info! Thats the thing that worries me is how many tire kickers are there going to be...they told me $12 a lead. So I dont know im getting weary of it...

#8 ·
I tried them for a year and got only low bid lovers. A great way to get into the business or any business but not for Lighting. Cost me $1800 for about 60-80 leads and I got 3 of them for about 20,000 in work. Not bad but I was lucky. One wall Job, a patio and a lighting rehab. Many of the jobs I went back to see how they came out and many were not ever done and the others got just what they paid for. The bitterness from poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Sean C.

#9 ·
Hmm mixed feelin. CAlandscape: lighting job or landscape? Im only offering lighting through this, so im hoping for my fellow lighters to chime in.

I just found an insanely cheap direct mail place im trying, but want to do as much as possible. It only costs $12 per lead for lighting, which isnt to bad. It can add up fast with all the tire kickers tho...

Well any lighters?
Landscape, lighting, irrigation, hardscape, etc.

It was all junk for me... :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

#10 ·
Take tonygub's experience and multiply it times 3 for me. I have never gotten so many worthless leads to lead to only one 3000 dollar Christmas lighting job. I spent about 3-400 bucks over a 5 month period doing worthless bidding for jobs I did not want. irrigation systems, retaining walls, seeding, etc. 12-20 bucks for each lead. They do not have a landscape lighting category, so you get all the landscape leads. and you pay for them. You will better leads and closes and sales from 250 bucks in doorhangers from gotprint.com and a days walking.

And yes, when you cancel, they give you free leads and they constantly woo you back, and then you get more worthless leads. I don't really blame service magic, these people truly do log in and ask for a professional to contact them. it is just that the people who do that never really want to hire someone. They are hiding behind the internet. The people who want to hire someone CALL contractors.

#12 ·
Service Magic stunk from a mile away. I never used them. Its good to hear that I made the right choice. I use a company that sends me name and address labels for all the new homes bought in southeast Michigan over $400,000. It cost me $50 bucks a month for between 50-100 really good leads. I send out packets with full color condensed catalogs and a letter including there name explaining my services. It has got me tons of great leads!!! Thanks guys.

#13 ·
Service Magic stunk from a mile away. I never used them. Its good to hear that I made the right choice. I use a company that sends me name and address labels for all the new homes bought in southeast Michigan over $400,000. It cost me $50 bucks a month for between 50-100 really good leads. I send out packets with full color condensed catalogs and a letter including there name explaining my services. It has got me tons of great leads!!! Thanks guys.
Really? And where did you go to get this stuff?

#17 ·
Really? And where did you go to get this stuff?
The company is called NewPros Communications. Their website is www.newpros.com. Its pretty amazing, I've got tons of great leads from this company. They send out all kinds of info pulled from the register of deeds.

Name
Phone
Address
Price of home purchased
Amount of loan acquired
Lending Company
If Homeowner is on the the "do not call registry"

They send the address info either printed on labels or on a cd to load into your database.

Check out the site. Let me know what you think.

#19 ·
The company is called NewPros Communications. Their website is www.newpros.com. Its pretty amazing, I've got tons of great leads from this company. They send out all kinds of info pulled from the register of deeds.

Name
Phone
Address
Price of home purchased
Amount of loan acquired
Lending Company
If Homeowner is on the the "do not call registry"

They send the address info either printed on labels or on a cd to load into your database.

Check out the site. Let me know what you think.
It looks like a worth while deal. I will get with them tomorrow.

#21 ·
yeah but results of the company are just that results so like it or not its not service lighting its service magic and it serves alot of different business
Yeh i know, but im looking for lighting people who have used this. Our stuff is a lot more expensive then lawn care. It could be great for lawn care, cuz most everyone can afford that. So therefore i only need to know if lighting people have had results getting lighting jobs. Thanks for your input tho.

#23 ·
not to hi-jack but I saw you the other day on the I-20 around willow park I think.

Nice trailer, logo etc, it looked very professional and appeared to represent a company that I wouldn't mind using, of course If I had a landscape.

Stepping out now.
Ha! Well thanks! Do you live in Weatherford? That trailer has gotten alot of my jobs. I just added two more pictures to it today. Looks even better.

#26 ·
I've used Service Magic for about 2 years now, and I only do LV landscape lights. I get maybe 2 - 4 dozen leads per year, and close on 5-6 of them. About half of the people are looking for someone to fix their security lights or lamp-post, as that's what passes for landscape lighting in many areas around here. I send them to an electrician.

Overall, at $12 per lead, it only takes 2-3 jobs per year to pay for the missed/ erroneous leads. This summer I got the lead for a $15,000 job, which makes is worth while a little longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.